Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
luckiest of the unlucky
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fisher has been so kind as to send me a new crankset to remedy the chainsuck problem on my Paragon. When I told my bikeshop guy to put a new chain on while he was at it, he was absolutely insistent that I put a new XT cassette on there as well. I know that this is probably a good idea, but I am a college student and my money tree in the back yard isn't bearing much fruit lately. I've only put about 1k miles on a sram pg-970 cassette, although it has had to deal with several bent chains (as a result of chainsuck) for small periods of time.
What would you fine people do in this situation?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Try the new chain with the old cassette on a steep hill near home. Use all the big cogs. If it skips buy a new cassette or avoid the worn cog(s) until you can afford a new cassette. Also, do this sort of work yourself so you don't have to deal with the hard sell any more. A cassette tool is cheap, and you can use your chain and crank as a chainwhip.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,021 Posts
JoelM said:
Fisher has been so kind as to send me a new crankset to remedy the chainsuck problem on my Paragon. When I told my bikeshop guy to put a new chain on while he was at it, he was absolutely insistent that I put a new XT cassette on there as well. I know that this is probably a good idea, but I am a college student and my money tree in the back yard isn't bearing much fruit lately. I've only put about 1k miles on a sram pg-970 cassette, although it has had to deal with several bent chains (as a result of chainsuck) for small periods of time.
What would you fine people do in this situation?
Well, as a matter of fact I've had the sram PG-series cassettes wear out after a rediculously small amount of usage. I can't say for sure whether or not this guy is pulling your chain, but it's a distinct possibility and I've had the problem myself. Feel the cassette and make sure there are no "hooks" on the individual teeth, the "hook" is a flattening of the material on one side of the tooth, and you can feel it protruding to one side of the tooth usually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.