Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
otbmbc.com
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a 11-32 8 speed cassette. While climbing with a group the other day my buddys were telling me that I might do better with a 9 speed cassette but that I'd have to change my shifters and possibly my whole shift/brake lever setup.

I talked to my LBS and they told me that maybe an upgrade in the cassette only will make a difference. Will an new size cassette make enough of a difference? What do you suggest I do?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
SabbathU71 said:
I am currently using a 11-32 8 speed cassette. While climbing with a group the other day my buddys were telling me that I might do better with a 9 speed cassette but that I'd have to change my shifters and possibly my whole shift/brake lever setup.

I talked to my LBS and they told me that maybe an upgrade in the cassette only will make a difference. Will an new size cassette make enough of a difference? What do you suggest I do?
If my memory serves me right, 11-32 is the max range for 8speed, so, going to another 8 speed will not make any difference at all. You could go for a 11-34 set, that would give you a lower gear. 8 speed chains are also a tiny bit thicker and stronger. What level stuff are you using? If it is good quality 8 speed stuff, i don't personally think going 9 speed is real ecinomical.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
What did your friends mean by "do better"? Because your 32 wasn't enough of a low gear on that climb? If your drivetrain functions well, you're fine.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
rkj__ said:
If my memory serves me right, 11-32 is the max range for 8speed, so, going to another 8 speed will not make any difference at all. You could go for a 11-34 set, that would give you a lower gear. 8 speed chains are also a tiny bit thicker and stronger. What level stuff are you using? If it is good quality 8 speed stuff, i don't personally think going 9 speed is real ecinomical.
My opinion too. I think 8 speed shifts better.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
SabbathU71 said:

What front rings are you running too?

It is possible to make climbing easier by switching from a 24 or 22 tooth front ring to a 20 tooth small ring.

Just another, and cheaper, way.

JmZ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.