Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took my SRAM 970(?) cassette off of my old wheel, and when I did...all the cogs separated completely from each other.

I noticed a very skinny screw that looks like it should thread through each of the cogs and the plastic "spacers"...but it is not long enough.

Did this screw bust...and in turn "screw me?"

I tried putting the spacers back in between the cogs and lining everything up...but nothing holds it in place and it just slides all over the place.

Do I need a new cassette because of this skinny screw?

How are the cogs held together on a cassette that is in new condition?

Thanks for any advice.........

·
I Like Bicycles
611 Posts
I believe all/most cassettes do that.

I have an XT, and all but 5 rings fall right right off. They are held in place when they're on the hub.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not the SRAMS

Thimk said:
I believe all/most cassettes do that.

I have an XT, and all but 5 rings fall right right off. They are held in place when they're on the hub.
I pulled an old Sram out of my junk drawer, and only the top 2 separate.
The rest are held in place somehow.

The plastic spacers need the screw to hold everything in place. Without it, the cogs don't fit together correctly.

Ant SRAM experts out there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
On the SRAM 970 cassette the first 6 gears are screwed together. on the SRAM 990 the first 6 are pinned together. you can use them if they are separated, but definatly not suggested. You will where groves into you free hub because the pressure applied when peddeling.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
funny you mention that...

SSCarver said:
On the SRAM 970 cassette the first 6 gears are screwed together. on the SRAM 990 the first 6 are pinned together. you can use them if they are separated, but definatly not suggested. You will where groves into you free hub because the pressure applied when peddeling.

I actually tried to ride the cassette by sliding it on the freehub (with no pin)...and my freehub locked up after a 1/4 mile.

Now I thought the freehub was on its way out anyway...so I didn't think anything of it. But when i tried to remove the cassette...MAN, what a hassle!

I think I actually disfigured the freehub because the cassette would not slide off.
I had to pry each ring off 1 at a time.

I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new one. i'm not going to risk using the separate cogs on my new wheel.

Any way I can purchase a pin? I'm kind of pissed because the shifting has been flawless, bnoe I'll have to get some chain rings and a chain too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
freeriderB said:
I actually tried to ride the cassette by sliding it on the freehub (with no pin)...and my freehub locked up after a 1/4 mile.

Now I thought the freehub was on its way out anyway...so I didn't think anything of it. But when i tried to remove the cassette...MAN, what a hassle!

I think I actually disfigured the freehub because the cassette would not slide off.
I had to pry each ring off 1 at a time.

I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new one. i'm not going to risk using the separate cogs on my new wheel.

Any way I can purchase a pin? I'm kind of pissed because the shifting has been flawless, bnoe I'll have to get some chain rings and a chain too.
Getting a new set up is the best idea, but if the rest of your drive train is in really good condition you may be able to get away with it. I would also suggest getting a 990 because the six first gears are on a hub. you might also try file down the groves that were made by the sprockets that came apart.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Sram is indeed held together with screws with all but its top end line, shimano is solid except for the last few cogs even down to LX level, that is why shimano is WAY BETTER. Sram low end stuff is OK for the $ but does not last but in the end makes good easy to make wind chimes unlike the shimano cogs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Brown_Teeth said:
Sram is indeed held together with screws with all but its top end line, shimano is solid except for the last few cogs even down to LX level, that is why shimano is WAY BETTER. SRAM low end stuff is OK for the $ but does not last but in the end makes good easy to make wind chimes unlike the shimano cogs.
Not so sure about that, but its a personal preference I guess......

·
Im a Cowboy
790 Posts
What hub?, I know my hopes that have an aluminium freehub body reguires something like an
XT cassette with an aluminium sprocket carrier, straight steel sprockets will gouge the freehub and be difficult to remove

·
Registered
237 Posts
CrustyOne said:
What hub?, I know my hopes that have an aluminium freehub body reguires something like an
XT cassette with an aluminium sprocket carrier, straight steel sprockets will gouge the freehub and be difficult to remove
Here is a pic of the hub I mentioned

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts