Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this inthe tooltime forum as well, but figured people in this forum would know about removing cassette as ;-) Also, that thread has become a discussion about removing cassettes w/o tools (i.e., by hand w/ a glove or tool).

Anyway, I was looking at ordering a few more tools. I am going to get a better set of allen wrenches along with some tools for removing cassettes & center lock disc breaks. I was looking at some of the Pedro tools and noticed the following set at Nashbar:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Perhaps its a sign of being a 'newbie' in the do-it-yourself club, but I have only seen chain whips & lockring tools for removing cassettes -- this is the first time I have seen a 'cog wrench'. Has anyone used one of cog wrenches? The cog wrench by itself seems to sell for $25-$30.

Thx.

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just noticed that the link above did not work (that's what I get for attempting to past a link). What I meant to post was the link to Pedro's cassette removal 'kit' which includes the cog wrench (sells for $15 separately) and the HG Socket/wrench:
link here.

Perhaps you changed your comments after reading the description in this kit:
Pedro's unique Cog Wrench fits into 11t or 12t cogs, holding the cassette firmly while you insert the included HG Socket through it for easy removal of the lock ring.​

$50 for the kit is a little steep, but $15 for the cog wrench & $3 for the lock ring tool seem pretty decent.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
yep, agree with this one, all I've ever needed is the lock ring tool & a chain whip or a chunk of 2x4.

VT no 1 2 or 3 said:
Just get the nashbar chain whip for $6.50 and a lock ring tool for $3 - Total- $9.50. This is everything needed to change a cassette and it cost less than using the "cog wrench".

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have in a pinch, and wouldn't recommend it for recurring use, done the following:

Round shafted screwdriver between the spokes (cassette side of where they cross) and wedged across the largest cog. Use the lockring tool to loosen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.