Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm currently sourcing for a cassette. Any recommendations? I'm eyeing on the kcnc
9s 12-25 weighing at 130g. Any reviews on these? Another concern is, will it ruin my hub body? Seen nino hubs being ruined by his cassette. Any input? Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Xtr!

Get an XTR cassette. They have better gear ratios, longer life and will work with most hubs!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. But this is "save some weight" section in mtbr. XTR is definitely too heavy :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Atmos said:
Thanks for your reply. But this is "save some weight" section in mtbr. XTR is definitely too heavy :)
wow, high standards, you don't mess around.
There are the kcnc aluminum cassettes that you can get off of ebay and from people on this board. They are about $180 but don't last too long in offroad conditions. Dura ace is lighter. I use and ultregra 12-27 cassette (its cheap) and i'm super happy with it. I may get nino's full ti cassette whenever that is done.
Michael

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can get those kcnc cassette locally for 170usd. I know they are not durable but not much of a problem for me (on road only). Just need some positive feedbacks of them but looks like, other than its "not so bad" weight and bling outlook, its not very recommended. I tried the ultegra before but those weigh around 190g?(forgotten). Tried sram too at 186g.

For the people waiting for nino cassette, i'm sad to say that he won't be releasing them anytime soon. So, its sort of abandoned project for the time being. I wanted to get from him badly too, but you know... good things don't always turn out smoothly :mad:

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
my cassettes..

correct - sorry for the bad news:
i have sweet prototype cassettes here but to make a production run i'd need to make at least 100 pcs. which is just too much money at once.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I got a 9sp dura ace in 12-27. Since these are closed out, the prices are somewhat cheap. It cost me a little under $100.

Others have said that an ultegra cassette utilizing a Dura-Ace lock-ring is the same weight...it's only the lock ring that's lighter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts