Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Never trust a fart
4,543 Posts
I use a full SRAM drivetrain - 980 cassette - with a XTR chain. Just switched last month. I was running the SRAM PC-980 cross step chain. No issues, but I've read/heard on here that the Shimano chains seem to shift smoother. After 2 rides, I can't tell a difference, but the XTR chain was a little cheaper than the SRAM chain - LBS employee discount.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
warrlokk026 said:
I've always preferred SRAM just because of the power link and thus the ease of maintenance (degreasing and lubing). Are there Shimano chains that have the same powerlink-type feature?
No, but the power link works fine with them (I prefer Shimano or KMC chains which come with a power link look alike)

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I've used shimano for many years but lately I''ve been getting Sram pg-970 cassettes primarily because of price. I usually can find a 970 quite a bit cheaper than a shimano equivalent. The Sram 950 and below can be ridiculously heavy, so I won't go below the 970 series. If I find a really good deal on a 980 or 990, I would jump on it, but I'm satisfied with 970s, I think they're the most bang for your buck in a not-too-heavy cassette.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.