Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam looking into a Rumblefish 1. It comes with a 12-36 rear cassette. My question is I have a custom wheels set with a sram 990 11-34 cassette. If I swap out wheel sets will there be an issue with chain lenght or anything else????

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
As I recall, those 12-36 cassettes are Deore level which means individual cogs. If your custom wheelset includes a rear hub with an alloy FH body...that 36t is going to dig in quite a bit (the other large cogs will as well).
When you say dig in do you mean good traction when in the top gear or "cog"

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
GF 29er said:
When you say dig in do you mean good traction when in the top gear or "cog"
Nope, "digging" as in the steel cogs will start pushing their way through the softer aluminum and damage the freehub body like this:

pic courtesy of Sheldon Brown's site

This is one of the big reasons why the nice PG990 cassette you have uses a large, solid aluminum carrier to mount the 5 or 6 largest cogs. Small cogs don't have enough leverage to do the same thing

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what you are saying then, is that my custom wheel set Hope Pro II's sram 990 cassette will not do that unlike what comes with the bike? My plan is to put my custom wheel set on the bike and not use what came with the bike.

·
Life is strange
1,991 Posts
GF 29er said:
So what you are saying then, is that my custom wheel set Hope Pro II's sram 990 cassette will not do that unlike what comes with the bike? My plan is to put my custom wheel set on the bike and not use what came with the bike.
Hope has a Stainless Steel freehub body you can stick in em that will prevent that sort of wear.
I think its like $80 or something silly however.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
GF 29er said:
Correct!:thumbsup:

The wheelset that comes with the bike has a steel FH body. Your PG 990 cassette has an alloy carrier that holds the lowest six gears so they will not dig into the Hope II's alloy FH body. Hope does make a stainless steel FH body if you want to run that 12-36 cassette, they're hard to find though. Personally, I'd just keep that PG990 cassette unless you feel you really need the extra two teeth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.