Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are cassettes specific to each deraileur, or can I use a SRAM Cassette with shiamno der's?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re:

Ok, second question, since I'm also considering buying a Shimano XTR rear deraileur (they are 53% off at jensonusa, seems like a good deal). How about shifters and deraileurs? If I pick up the shimano deraileur, do I need to buy shiamno shifters also?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
UneaK said:
Ok, second question, since I'm also considering buying a Shimano XTR rear deraileur (they are 53% off at jensonusa, seems like a good deal). How about shifters and deraileurs? If I pick up the shimano deraileur, do I need to buy shiamno shifters also?
Yes, if you get a Shimano rear derailleur, you'll need Shimano compatible shifters too. That means either getting Shimano branded shifters or SRAM Attack shifters. (Most SRAM shifters are not Shimano compatible, but the Attack shifters are.)

For the front derailleur, you can mix and match brands.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Sram use a 1:1 Ratio and Shimano use a 1:2 ratio or something like that. All Cassettes are interchangeable but you will need a Shimano Shifter if you get the Derailluer.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
If it is a 9 speed then it will work with 7/8/9 speed Shimano MTB shifters, SRAM Attack or TRX trigger shifters, and SRAM Attack, Centura, or MRX twist shifters.

If it is a 10 speed XTR, you must use Shimano MTB 10 speed shifters

·
Registered
375 Posts
current xtr is all dynasys. this generally doesnt work well with other non dynasys parts. so if your not already dynasys i'd recommend against it.

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
I recently purchased a Schwinn Ranger for my youngest that just turned 9 and a Giant Boulder for my 11 year old. Why did I buy the Schwinn....because my boys are small and none of my LBS had a 7 speed 20" bike that would fit him. At 11 most kids are almost ready for a 26", but my oldest is small so he should get 2-3 years out of his 24". We will have to see if the Schwinn holds up. So far about 60-70 miles of town and trail riding (over the last 3 weeks) and it has held up well.
What does this have to do with anything? :confused:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Like others mentioned I'm almost positive you have to keep the rear parts matching. On my rush sl6 I have SRAM x7 shifters, a x7 rear derailluer and a shimano slx front derailluer. All of it seems to work in perfect harmony.

If I had to choose I'd go all shimano stuff. I haven't sat down and tried to tune my SRAM stuff yet...but I already know how to tune shimano stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sweet, thanks. If I'm running Sram would i need to have a Sram cassette or does that matter, I know shifters and derailleurs need to be compatible wasn't sure about the cassettes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts