Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the benefit in getting a new cassette? Or are there any?

Are new cassettes just to used to replace old, worn out ones?

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
pretty much to possibly save some weight or gain some strength or to replace broken or worn ones

·
Registered
49 Posts
Always replace your cassette and chain at the same time. The teeth of the cassette and the pins of the chain wear together. Replacing one without the other can be a very disappointing experience.

-glueslug

·
responsible zombie owner
654 Posts
"Always replace your cassette and chain at the same time."

Ideally you should replace your chain before it's worn out your cassette's and chainrings' teeth. That way you can get through several (cheap) chains before you need to replace the (more expensive) cassette and chainrings.

·
Hail Satin!
248 Posts
Yeah I always push replacing chains before they wear out. Depending on the miles I ride. I change mine out about every 8 months. It's like the old oil change mantra. Oil changes are cheap. Engines aren't.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
it takes 5 seconds to measure a chain.. its insane to replace the cassette with the chain. you should get 2-4 chains per cassette.

chains are cheap. rings and cassettes arent!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The original poster is talking about replacing a cassette, not a chain and keeping an old cassette. If you replace your cassette, you should replace the chain at the same time.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
glueslug said:
If you replace your cassette, you should replace the chain at the same time.
Most definitely (if for wear)

I think what others were mentioning is that if you change out your chain before it mucks up your cassette, you won't hardly have to change it ( unless for aforementioned weight or 'bling factor' or something)

I run my cassettes for years and my chains for months - no problems

1 - 10 of 10 Posts