Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the never ending saga of modifiing & customizing my ride I have decided to change to 9spd. I wanted to upgrade the shifters, but is extremly hard to find 8spd shifters these days. So I plan on eventually converting to 9spd. I am looking at different cassettes for instance the sram 990 (red spider), my question is what is the big difference between the 11/32 & the 11/34 versions & how do I know which will work best on my bike.
Finally do I have to change out the cranks aswell to upgrade to 9spd?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
the complete gearing changes a little, but the biggest diff is the lowest gear... those 2 extra teeth can help in those steep climbs....

You only need to change the shifters and cassette to switch to 9 speeds (your cranks and rear derailleur will do just fine)

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crisillo said:
compatibility-wise, it doesn't matter.... it just depends on your local terrain or physical condition, if you want a bit lower gearing or not
thats good to know. I do fine with the 8spd & actually like it but it is just to hard to find any 8spd parts anymore. Both my front & rear derialleurs are 9spd on an 8spd setup so I figured I will go for everything.

I allready have a set of avid speed dial 7 levers now all I need is the shifters & cassette. ( I decided not to sell them after all, just in case I change my mind about upgrading, which I did)

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
yeah..keeping your 8 speed parts is a good idea..they could also serve as backup in a pinch... if you look hard there are still 8 speed parts around... the problem is that they are mostly low level (as in heavy) so I understand your concern...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If you are running a granny gear up front, an 11/32 in back should be more than enough.

The 11/34 is popular with folks who run a 1x9 drivetrain, but I would say it's overkill if you have a 3x9 or 2x9 drivetrain.

As Crisillo says, either one will work fine with 9-speed shifters.

Oh, make sure you get a 9-speed chain too!

Cheers, Chris

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The levers I was going to sell were the avid speed dial 7's, I bought them for the reason of chainging to 9spd, then I decided to try & get better 8spd shifters which seems hard to get decent quality like you said. So I put the levers on ebay to sell them. Now that I am going to go 9spd I will take them off ebay & hold onto them until I get the 9spd shifters & cassette, oh yeah the chain aswell.:thumbsup:

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crisillo said:
Chris is absolutely right... I had forgotten about the chain... the 9 speed chain is thinner... you'd need that too..
yeah I will upgrade that at my lbs when I get all the parts. So far I have the levers & I am bidding on a new cassette & shifters as we speak/write.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris130 said:
Very cool! Although it's always a good dent in the wallet, I do love putting together an all brand-new drivetrain, and getting it dialed in... Everything works together so nice and you get all fired up to go ride! Good stuff...

Cheers, Chris
thi sis true, I cant complain to much I mean I spent $20 for the levers (ebay) & I am getting the cassette for $59.95 + $6 for shipping (ebay) then all I need is the shifters which there is a set of Shimano lx 9spd's for $25 (ebay). Total $111 all shipped. So I think I am doing good considering the amount I saved as compared to how mcuh these parts cost in the lbs.:thumbsup:

Of coarse as I get the parts installed I will post a follow up thread & pics, I am for ever upgrading this bike.
My wife just rolls her eyes & says you aren't even going to ride that much anymore:rolleyes: (we just had our 1st baby on the 3rd) I will find time though.

·
Banned
462 Posts
11/34 will give you more range and make it a littel easier when you're climbing.

To change from 8 to 9 you need to update your cassette and shifters only.

If you're going to a from a 11/32 to 11/34 keep in mind your chain length will need to be longer in order to accomodate the extra teeth.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Becane73 said:
11/34 will give you more range and make it a littel easier when you're climbing.

To change from 8 to 9 you need to update your cassette and shifters only.

If you're going to a from a 11/32 to 11/34 keep in mind your chain length will need to be longer in order to accomodate the extra teeth.
I just bought the sram 990 11/32 (red spider) from ben's cycle for $60:thumbsup:

Currently I have installed on the bike XT front & rear derialleurs so I am good there & I have Avid SD 7 levers, but I still need new shifters & a chain. I am hopefully going to get 06 LX shifter pods from ebay for $35 (NIB), for the chain I will just hit my LBS & get the Sram power link.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
ironbike1 said:
I just bought the sram 990 11/32 (red spider) from ben's cycle for $60:thumbsup:

Currently I have installed on the bike XT front & rear derialleurs so I am good there & I have Avid SD 7 levers, but I still need new shifters & a chain. I am hopefully going to get 06 LX shifter pods from ebay for $35 (NIB), for the chain I will just hit my LBS & get the Sram power link.
Sounds like a good plan! keep us posted!:thumbsup:

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok like I said I got all the parts coming, I just got the LX shifters, they should be delivered sometime early next week.

Crisillo I know you said I only need to replace the shifters, chain & cassette but I dont need to replace the chainrings at all?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.