Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so when I have my bike in the stand and I pedal it, then let go of the cranks and let it coast the cranks should stop turning. They don't. I know the problem is somewhere in the freewheel or cassette but what exactly is the problem?

·
Registered
974 Posts
This can happen when the freewheel starts to get washed out. How bad is it? Do they move slowly, or are they pushing? Has the freewheel locked up on you when you pedal hard? If the freewheel is going bad it will have to be replaced. You can't really save it. A referb or regrease only buys you some time.

The freewheel washes out when you ride in wet conditions a lot or wash your bike with the hose too hard. Less hose, more scrub brush, or even dry clean with the brush.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not bad they move about half the speed of the wheel, but it's not noticable when I ride. I imagine it slows you down in the same way brake rub does though, right?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well, I would say if it gets bad you can bust up your derailleur or hanger, but I think you already know that. You can get a new freewheel from the company that makes that wheelset. Your lbs should be able to get you one. They cost 25-50 bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.