Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone

I have a new Van Dessel Jersey Devil 29er FS that is 60% done. I am not sure which cassette I would like to use, however a top priority is having the option to change gearing with the rear cassette since I am working on a 2x9 setup so no granny gear.

Any advice on this? I am running Stans ZTR wheels and have the Vandy decked out with SRAM X-9/X-O components.

Thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Action Tec titanium cassettes are available direct and come in just about every imaginable configuration, and should you decide to change they sell each cog separately also.

Almost all Shimano cassettes allow at least some customization, the XT and XTR group the largest cogs in pairs, so replacing singles can't always be done.

Do what I did and experiment with a cheap cassette(s) until you get the combination you want then consider buying that size in a high end unit.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, so since I have a SRAM XO rear shifter, it would not be compatible with Shimano components.

In that case, what options are there? Action Tec? Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for the help so far. Saved so much money building this bike on my own. It has been a lot of fun seeing it come together.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Generalcuz said:
Okay, so since I have a SRAM XO rear shifter, it would not be compatible with Shimano components.

In that case, what options are there? Action Tec? Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for the help so far. Saved so much money building this bike on my own. It has been a lot of fun seeing it come together.
huh? Wrong end of the stick matey, any cassette can be used with any shifter (as long as they are paired with the right speed shifters)

What the other guys are saying is that on shimano cassettes, each cog (for any given cassette) is designed with shifting ramps to aid shifting. However, if you start to remove cogs and replace with ones from another cassette, the shifting ramps will not line up, because the cassettes are designed differently across the range of brands and different gear spreads.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I don't think it's been mentioned, but the ZTR hub has an Al alloy freehub body, which would become gouged or notched by cassettes with individual cogs. I would only install a cassette with an aluminum carrier, like XT or Sram pg990. Unfortunately this limits you to either a 12-32 or 12-34, and excludes the SLX 12-36.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
And the practical reality is that you are really only going to be concerned about your high and low range requirements anyway, there's nothing to be gained fiddling with the gears in between with 9 speeds. If you were building a custom 5 speed cassette to run 2x5 then you'd have more interest in which of the in between gears you picked depending on your terrain and strengths. Once you pick the low gear as a 27, 30, 32 or 34, with 9 speeds the spacing is more or less uniform between gears anyway.

You might have three cassettes to swap between if you ride widely differing terrain regularly, but I'd bet that even that would get old in a hurry, you'd pick the one that is the most versatile and just stick with it.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Generalcuz said:
Kind of past that point. I have an Origin 8 2x9 already installed. 29/44 gear ratio.
well - let's hope that the 29/44 gives you the range you were looking for.To me that's not suitable and the trend is definitely going to smaller rings up front.

I don't know you nor do i know where you ride but for most mortals doing some serious biking the 29 is not low enough (unless you are a racer with very strong legs).I'm on 27t paired to a 32 in the back. On top i hardly ever used my 11 even with my 42t ring before so now i'm on a 40t. It's really rare i have to bomb down a fireroad at high-speed and then again i can pedal up to speed fast enough....but this way i have perfect gearing for 99% of my riding.

Anyway - what others above already tried to say is it's all about finding your minimum required LOW and HIGH gears. Take a look at your drivetrain and find out which gear combination you really use and then look at a gear chart and find the same gear ratio with different chainrings and different cog sizes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.