Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My (new) xt cassette has a fair amount of play in it. I was at the bike shop when he took it off the hub. The wheelset is Mavic landcross. Now the xt cassette hole is quite a bit bigger than the hub thing it slides onto. Is this normal ? my rational logic would think that the cassette should fit snug to the hub pole without movement. What is the solution? I had this issue with my previous cassette; it actually came loose a couple of times. Does this mean I have to use XT hubs ? instead of the Mavic?
The guy at the shop reckoned it should be ok but I'm not so sure. There's a tiny bit of play in the hub bearing itself but nothing significant.

Anyone know anything about this?

·
Like catnip for people
401 Posts
Mine has a bit of play in it too... Factory standard, straight from bike shop...
Went into a different bike shop and was told that some of them just do... Don't think it's had any negative affect, yet... So I'll just see how things go...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had same problem, running a Chris king hub, with xt cassets, problem fixed by covering most on freehub with some plain cleartape, this will fill up the "space", and you feel it when you tighten the cassetten. After installing, i ride the bike for 20 min, and then tighten the cassette again. I also tried a cassette spacer, but did not work, the smart thing with tape is, you can "customize" it perfect.

Jesper

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
There's nothing you can do, that's just how it is. Shimano, SRAM; doesn't matter it seems they all have some play, just some more than others and depends on which cassette/hub combo you try.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Mine was and is still tight, XT, LX and a cycle dynamic cassette on a Mavic freehub.

But the freehub has developed someplay, due to wearing out the inner freehub race.

It is just starting to affect shifting so I will replace as soon as it gets here, and see if that takes out the play.

I also thought this was cassette to freehub play for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.