Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking at changing over to a 1x8 drivetrain. My rear cassette is currently a 11-32. I was wondering if it was possible for me to take the 11 tooth cog off, move the cassette over, and put a 34 or a 36 tooth cog on the other side to get the gear ratio down. Im also looking at possibly changing the cassette to a 9 speed, but then i would have to get a 9 speed front derailleur. Im trying to do this on the cheaper side of the spectrum and so trying to just keep it as an 8 speed cassette. Any suggestions or knowledge on whether either of those would work without any major surprises would be much appreciated

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
No. The 11t cog and the lock ring fit together in a particular way. You might be able to remove one of the intermediate cogs though. The third through eighth are basically just machined out of sheets.

If you're going to 1x, you don't need a front derailleur at all. Did you mean right shifter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what about a 9 speed cassette to completely replace the 8 speed cassette, would that be too wide?

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
The spacing between the cogs is a little different. You need to match the cassette and the shifter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts