Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate everyone's help on the wheel question I asked. But...I'm now confused by the argument that started over needing a better cassette. I'm not looking to open that back up, but I do need an education on what to look for if I did want to put a better/qualified cassette on a custom built BWW wheel. I've searched, read, and searched some more, and now I'm thoroughly confused. Can someone dumb this down for a Texas *******? Thanks.

I guess to simplify my concern - If I bought the custom BWW, what are the key words/attributes to look for in an upgraded cassette?

Thanks for your patience.

Randy

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
expensive cassettes are lighter and might shift marginally better than cheaper cassttes. your best bet is to buy a mid-level cassette like a Shimano SLX, XT or Sram PG-980, 990.

most mtb's use 11-32 cassettes, if you doing a lot of climbing you might want a 11-34 cassette, the 34 tooth cog will make climbing a little easier.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,752 Posts
That is not his concern at all. He's afraid of ruining his aluminium freehub body with a steel cassette...

·
Registered
424 Posts
With higher quality casettes the top 6 gears are built onto a solid carrier.

On lower end cassetes each gear goes all the way down onto the free hub body. If the free hub is made of aluminum or another soft metal these individual gears will dig into the body.

What you need is an XT or XTR cassette. Not sure what level you need for Sram

hope that is what you are looking for

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
denjen said:
With higher quality casettes the top 6 gears are built onto a solid carrier.

On lower end cassetes each gear goes all the way down onto the free hub body. If the free hub is made of aluminum or another soft metal these individual gears will dig into the body.

What you need is an XT or XTR cassette. Not sure what level you need for Sram

hope that is what you are looking for
Exactly, the SRAM PG 990 has either 5 (11-32) or 6 (11-34) of the largest cogs on the alloy carrier. It is the larger cogs that tend to dig in the worse. SRAM also makes the PG980 with the top 3 cogs on the carrier...better than no carrier but the PG990 is a better choice IME for alloy FH Bodies.

I personally do not like alloy FH Bodies and would use something like the DT 370 hubs or Shimano hubs (I can't afford the Chris King, but I'd go with their Stainless Steel FH Body if I could). This allows me to use a more economical cassettes (for the record, cheaper cassettes use the exact same shift ramps and tooth profiles so there is not difference in shifting performance) in an area that is a high wear item.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
I prefer the Shimano XTR cassettes, they shift slightly better than comparable SRAM components in my experience. I like the looks of the SRAM cassettes better with the color anodized spider but I prefer the better shift performance of the Shimano's, up to you which is more important.

The amount of weight you can drop by going with an alloy carrier is huge, no where else on the bike can you drop that much weight for so little price difference. The alloy carrier makes the whole problem with spline wear on the hub a non issue, the difference in wear between AL carrier cassettes and solid steel individual sprockets is not worth the weight penalty even if that weight is centered on the hub where it matters the least. Part of the wear on the hub carrier is due to the rotational weight being reversed every time you stop and start pedalling, reduce that weight and it reduces the problem...not to mention steel on AL wears faster than AL on AL.

I have at least 4 XTR cassettes in various gear arrangements, worth the investment IMO.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
The price difference between an XTR and a 990 cassette is huge.
Unless you have $$ to start fires with, the 990 is a great choice.
I use em on all my bikes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts