Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which hubs require to run a cassette with a spider to avoid carrier damage? I know Hope Pro 2s have a soft carrier and need it, but what about Hadley for example?

Cheers!

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Defintely the Pro II does(you knew that already). I ran mine for one ride without a spidered cassette and it left a nice set of marks on the freehub body...

On the other hand, why the question? A PG990 is such a worthy upgrade on any bike, I can't think of a reason NOT to run one, especially if you are consdering expensive hubs anyway?
Low weight (in the right place too - a big unsprung boat anchor cassette does not help your rear suspension perform at all), crisp shifting....and the spider comes in RED! yay...

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have Shimano LX cassette and it is only 25 grams heavier than the 990, so I wanted to keep it.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I have a PG990 and Hope Pro II and it is pretty much seized on my freehub. I haven't really pounded on it.. but it can definitely not be slid off by hand. It's got tons of mileage on it, though.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,875 Posts
Instead of comparing brands and all, the easy way to figure this out is: Steel and Titanium. Those are the two freehub body materials that will stand up pretty well. Pretty much most bling-hubs come with aluminum freehub bodys to save weight. Shimano either uses steel or titanium. CK makes you pay extra for the steel, and I'm sure a few other manufacturers also use steel or have similer upgrades. My DT 330 is aluminum. Not sure about the 440 series (freeride).

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah but for example I9 uses CNC'd aluminum carrier that holds up well to any cassette, also Atomlab's Pimp carrier etc etc. CK makes you pay, Hope makes you pay (70 bucks) etc.

So instead of changing your carrier to steel (and spend 70 bucks) to use an average weight cassette, you can spend those 70 in a nice light cassette and keep the light alloy carrier, thus saving weight without any extra expense.

But If I can keep my LX cassette AND run an alloy carrier, that's double advantage for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts