Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a rear xc tire that has sturdy side walls. Have a ikon 3C/EXO/TR but the side walls are paper thin, they wash out on our clay flat corners.

I also have a forkaster exo/tr and it has an alot better feeling sidewall. This would be for the front.

What would be a better tire for all around xc that can take some punishment without putting 30 psi in it?

The crossmark 2 with 60tpi?

The aspen with 120tpi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
A paper thin casing will be more prone to puncture but also more supple. A higher TPI tire will also be more supple but puncture prone.

You mentioned PSI so I assume you’re wanting more support for hard cornering. I’d suggest trying foam inserts. The Tannus Tubeless inserts get good reviews.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A paper thin casing will be more prone to puncture but also more supple. A higher TPI tire will also be more supple but puncture prone.

You mentioned PSI so I assume you’re wanting more support for hard cornering. I’d suggest trying foam inserts. The Tannus Tubeless inserts get good reviews.

I have some but they dont touch the side walls. Work great for rock hits but dont give the sidewalls support.

Yah i want a tire that has traction but doesnt roll over in the corners without running a high psi so i lose traction.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have some but they dont touch the side walls. Work great for rock hits but dont give the sidewalls support.

Yah i want a tire that has traction but doesnt roll over in the corners without running a high psi so i lose traction.

How much do you weigh? Preventing tire squirm in corners with < 30psi, will be a lot harder if you're 200lbs, than if you're 120lbs.

The problem is that XC tires try to be super light, because for XC races, every gram counts. But, the problem you're experiencing with the casing deforming is due entirely to its lightweight sidewall/casing design. So its going to be hard to find an "XC" tire, with a casing robust enough to allow high pressure cornering without squirm, at under 30psi.

I'm about 200lbs in my riding gear. And I get tire squirm in high pressure corners with ~24-25psi, even with EXO+/DD types of casings.

Your options are basically:
  • step up to a more trail type tire, with more robust casings
  • Run inserts
  • Run more pressure

Also, I have the tannus tubeless inserts in my tires now. You say they don't touch the sidewalls? Mine are absolutely touching the sidewalls, to about 1/3 - 1/2 the height of the sidewall on my 2.4in Michelin Wild Enduro Rear tire, and it absolutely does help prevent tire squirm for me. But that is a lot of weight (160g) to add to an actual XC tire (which are usually in the 600-800g ish range IIRC).

Also, this sounds like a crazy suggestion, but maybe at least consider it (especially if you're a bigger rider like me). The Michelin Force Enduro might work. Its not an XC tire of course. But its designed to be a fast rolling (again, for enduro) tire for the rear of enduro bikes in dry conditions. So its got a roughly EXO+/DD casing, and relatively sparse center knobs. Its one of the few tires that I can think of with a heavier duty casing, that is still designed for roll well.

·
Vendor
34 Posts
I need a rear xc tire that has sturdy side walls. Have a ikon 3C/EXO/TR but the side walls are paper thin, they wash out on our clay flat corners.

I also have a forkaster exo/tr and it has an alot better feeling sidewall. This would be for the front.

What would be a better tire for all around xc that can take some punishment without putting 30 psi in it?

The crossmark 2 with 60tpi?

The aspen with 120tpi?

Check out the Rekon, it's a little more aggressive than an XC tire but not as knobby as a Minion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts