Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm constantly wanting to buy bike stuff. To include new bikes! It bugs me that I can't afford everything since I have a mortgage, saving up for a wedding, normal living bills, and credit card bills. I save cash to buy but I'm so impatient (hence the credit card debt). So to all of you that are like me and always have the desire to buy stuff but not the fundage you need, how do you deal?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lidarman said:
Sounds like spending is more your passion that having a passion for riding.
Quite the opposite. The more I ride, the more I love it, which leads me to wanting to try new components and getting more bikes in the stable to diversify my riding. In the end if I only had one bike and couldn't buy crap, I'd still love riding :)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
mjsca07 said:
I'm constantly wanting to buy bike stuff. To include new bikes! It bugs me that I can't afford everything since I have a mortgage, saving up for a wedding, normal living bills, and credit card bills. I save cash to buy but I'm so impatient (hence the credit card debt). So to all of you that are like me and always have the desire to buy stuff but not the fundage you need, how do you deal?
I was in your boat, constantly buying new parts for my Rocky. Then I bought a used bike that I don't have the desire to upgrade :) (ie full XTR) I think that purchase has saved me plenty of money over time.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Never Scrimp on Your Hobbies!

I am a student, making Pizza for minimum wage- yet, I ride a $4000 XC race bike. How did I do it? I BUILT my bike up.....part-by-high-end-part. There was no way I could have gone out and bought my bike at the LBS.....so I upgraded it slowly, and in the process learned how to build bikes. It is much more exciting this way, and you learn to appreciate quality parts.

In my book- money is simply no OBJECT, when it comes to what I'm passionate about. It's been a FUN ROAD/TRAIL ever since!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Yeh...can't seem to quit spending on biking stuff but it is my passion.
I was up to (3) high-end XC bikes until i recently sold my oldest one.I do however spend wisely and only buy close-out specials and all my bike purchases have been year end marked down bikes.
My last bike was my best buy to date.This particular bike i really wanted was sitting in the store for $3100 and the owner would only come down to $2750 so i kept my fingers crossed and waited til the end of Oct and walked in with $2000 cash,he could'nt resist as the 09's were coming in.
I walked out with a 2008 C'dale Carbon Rush 3 nicely spec'ed for 2K after taxes.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,594 Posts
mjsca07 said:
Sometimes I can afford to buy some things I lust for. Other times it's all I can do to pay for the maintenance (parts breaking, wearing out). Sometimes I have to replace a worn part with a downgrade, other times an upgrade.

Here's the thing: Through experience I know know that it really makes very little difference as to how much I enjoy the ride or the experience. It really does not matter. The bike needs to be set up right (fit) and well maintained (everything works adequately), and I do feel more secure with the right tires.

It's healthy and fun to want new stuff. It's also OK to want it and not have it.

·
knock-knock...
577 Posts
i would check for plasma centers near where you live. i make around 50 bucks a week donating plasma when i am at home, and that is my "bike money" cuz its completely extraneous income. alas, none in vt where i go to school. my wallet is getting happier and happier over christmas break though :). 50 bucks for around 3 hours a week, best deal ever.

http://www.zlbplasma.com/s1/cs/enps/1167772006725/content/1167772006392/content.htm

·
Registered
273 Posts
mjsca07 said:
This is how I deal. Walk out front door. Immediately turn back around and insert house key into door-lock. Turn a few times. Re-enter the house and look around. Turn on a light switch. Turn it off. Turn on the faucet. Turn it off. Sit down on couch and be happy that you still have a job and you can afford a house in which both the electricity and water are still on.

Seriously though, if you're that tight cut up the cards (go on, I'll wait) and pay them off first. Next, if you can swing it get a second j-o-b delivering pizza or something like it. Hours are super flexible, no stress, and you can make pretty decent bike money for a few hours work on FRI and SAT night (actually THUR nights seem to be pretty good too).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.