Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a SS STP and i am trying to decide if i want a single speed dedicated rear hub or a casette hub and just add spacers?
I already have a casette hub
and i would get the Surly ss hub

also i have some profile BMX cranks and shadow chainring. I am wondering if i will need a conversion kit or do i just need a BB?

oh and i would try to run the Shadow half link chain

·
Registered
952 Posts
Are you destroying rear wheels currently?

If not, you can get by with the wheel you have with spacers for now.

If so, be warned that the Surly hub is not a cassette and as such uses standard size thread on freewheels. Not really a bad thing, but the smallest freewheel you could get was the AC 888 15 tooth. I never heard much good about them, so I'd stick with the commonplace 16 tooth. In the Single Speed forums you'll hear them trash all freewheels except for the White Ind Enos, but that's cause they ride in muck all the time. For street/park/DJ look to ACS, Suntour, and Shimano freewheels. You might want to consider the currently $35 Nashbar Single Speed Cassette Hub - Disc. Designed by On-One, made by Novatech, sold under On-One, Planet-X, Woodman, Novatac, Nashbar, and many other brand names. I'm using one on my Steelhead right now and it's working great. It's possible to get 14mm axles for these hubs and as an added bonus the Odyssey 1-piece drivers work on these hubs as well.

Start out with a conversion kit. I haven't needed a longer spindle on any of my MTBs. I use S&M Bikes' steel cup version, but Eastern, FSA, Primo, and Odyssey also sell euro conversion kits.

Just make sure the Shadow chain is the Interlink V2 model.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
That Nashbar hub is the nuts.... cheap and strong. I have an Odyssey 1-piece 11T driver in mine with a 25T guardsprocket on my FSA nasty boy cranks.
I am using the KMC Pintle chain which is similar to the shadow, but a lot cheaper.
I had to machine some custom spacers for my cranks to get them to fit perfectly, and I also had to make a slightly thicker washer for the hub when I put the driver in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.