Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did some riding with a bud at case this afternoon and i was suprised when i came up the Bambi trail and Spur that someone from heaven had finally marked all the trails in that area with some nice fluorescent paint. This is the area me and my friends have gotten lost in numerous times so to whoever did this Thanks! :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
that's nice to hear, we've ridden around the same 200' radius for hours in that area. the stupid thing is we alway try it in late fall when the leaves tend to hide trail directionality.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol thats exactly what we always tried to to and yeah the trail was either covered by leaves or the uncovered trail led us right back to where we started...

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I know this is gonna sound all "rain on your parade-y" but here it goes - the trails that were marked are not official trails. Case is a mix of state, town and water company property. The former two (state and town) have official policies stating riding is ok on the trails - for the most part those trails are the marked ones around Case Mountain proper and are represented on the maps you can get at any sign board. As you move further out towards Birch Mountain you are on Water company land. The water company has a "don't ask/don't tell" policy with regards to trail use, however building of new trails is frowned upon mightily (to put it mildly).

The powers that be that let us ride on those trails are not amused by the new trail markings as it makes "illegal" trails look legal. This threatens our access at Case - especially at the water company. Expect those trail markings to be painted over in the coming weeks and please, please do not re-mark them.

I suspect even with the removed markings you will still be able to follow the trail. If you see someone out there marking trails - first ask if they are Tom Leone (who manages Case), if they are not Tom, then inform them that marking trails like this puts the whole area at risk for mountain biking - its obvious what user group built those trails!

I'm in no way an official voice here, but just spreading the word. Any questions, post 'em up or send me a PM and I'll try and get some answers for you.

John

·
Registered
100 Posts
If anyone knows who actually blazed the trails at case please let me know. It is not good to call attention to trails that were not authorized in the first place, and trails that have man made features on them, some built from live trees..

I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade either. But the trails were not blazed very tastefully. For those of us who BUILT the trail, it makes us completely disgusted. If you didn't build the trail, please don't mess with the trail - this is in the mountain bikers etiquette bible.

There is a good map of case on bikerag that has all of the metavomit and bambi trails shown.

The new blazes will be removed. I would like to contact the person who blazed the trails, not to scold them, just to talk and explain why we are removing the blazes and plead with them, not to blaze the trail again. Blazing this trail, calling attention to it, will only get us kicked out of case. You may think this will never happen, but matter of factly, it has happened at other riding spots in CT..

Any locals wanna put in some time to fix the blazes with brown or grey spray paint? Seems the only solution. If I have to do it, I really wont be too happy..

Thanks for your cooperation in advance.
pm

·
Registered
115 Posts
blazes

When is this 'removal' going to happen? I ride there and love em. I have stumbled onto the trails often, but have now found the markings to be helpful. I understand more folks will now use the trail and possibly create issues, but I vote for letting them be. I always get turned around in there too- and they DO help, at least until one gains some route knowledge.

BTW Puke- awesome builds. I wish some of the older stuff were still around. Whose taking them apart? or is it simple attrition? Always a blast!

-D

·
Registered
100 Posts
You will still be able to follow the blazes after we cover them up with brown paint. They will just be less annoying to look at.. In the future, if there is a trail that is hard to follow, do your part, rake the trail in, use debris to mark the edges of the trail.. There are many things you can do - without painting the trees!!

As far as the ramps and stuff at case. We learned early on that building ramps is a loosing battle. They fall apart too easily, so much work to maintain. If your going to build anything, you are better off using whatever natural rock you can find, log rides, and earth work. Takes more time but lasts FOREVER.. Just look at what they have done at vietnam!!

the deanage said:
When is this 'removal' going to happen? I ride there and love em. I have stumbled onto the trails often, but have now found the markings to be helpful. I understand more folks will now use the trail and possibly create issues, but I vote for letting them be. I always get turned around in there too- and they DO help, at least until one gains some route knowledge.

BTW Puke- awesome builds. I wish some of the older stuff were still around. Whose taking them apart? or is it simple attrition? Always a blast!

-D

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I'm going to try and do the cover up painting on Wednesday night. I'll be leaving from Line Street at 6:00 if anyone is interested. My schedule is in flux a bit due to kids and summer, I'll post up here if anything changes. I'll go to the Depot today and buy some spray paint, so all you have to do is show up.

John

·
Registered
100 Posts
Blazes have been removed, to help yourself in navigating the area, please check out this map and get an understanding of the trails.. If the trail gets hard to follow in the fall, bring a rake out there. The last thing the metavomit / spur / bambi need is more traffic. All of the trails are 10 ft wide in there now.. braids around every and I mean, EVERY single obstacle..

This used to be case's premier technical area, the trail was singletrack, and it went over every single rock and technical feature. By riding the trail, and not riding any of the technical aspects, your not really riding the trail. But not much we can do about it now unless we get like the 300 people that ride case every day of their lives to help out and block all the braids, choke down the trail.

Oh - here is the map, the trail braids will make things confusing, but I have no control over that.. And will not put trail braids and shortcuts on the map.

https://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/CT/ct_case_map_by_numbers.jpg

·
Torque me. Make me spin!
69 Posts
pukemaster said:
Blazes have been removed, to help yourself in navigating the area, please check out this map and get an understanding of the trails.. If the trail gets hard to follow in the fall, bring a rake out there. The last thing the metavomit / spur / bambi need is more traffic. All of the trails are 10 ft wide in there now.. braids around every and I mean, EVERY single obstacle..

This used to be case's premier technical area, the trail was singletrack, and it went over every single rock and technical feature. By riding the trail, and not riding any of the technical aspects, your not really riding the trail. But not much we can do about it now unless we get like the 300 people that ride case every day of their lives to help out and block all the braids, choke down the trail.

Oh - here is the map, the trail braids will make things confusing, but I have no control over that.. And will not put trail braids and shortcuts on the map.

https://www.bikerag.com/images/MAPS/CT/ct_case_map_by_numbers.jpg
Thanks for the cool map. I'll be out there Thu Aug 21. I'm coming up from Maryland to ride Conn's best.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I was out there on Sunday and all I can say is VERY nice job guys.
It looks much better..:thumbsup:
I just wish I could have gotten out there to help out :blush:

BTW: A certain thread I was following elsewhere disappeared.
Could someone (who knows what I'm talking about) PM me the final outcome of the discussion.

Eric

·
Registered
100 Posts
STill more trail to be put in if you wish to donate some time.. That thread was just filed away for now, I was sick of looking at it, and reading idiotic posts..

mcrumble69 said:
I was out there on Sunday and all I can say is VERY nice job guys.
It looks much better..:thumbsup:
I just wish I could have gotten out there to help out :blush:

BTW: A certain thread I was following elsewhere disappeared.
Could someone (who knows what I'm talking about) PM me the final outcome of the discussion.

Eric

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
pukemaster said:
STill more trail to be put in if you wish to donate some time.. That thread was just filed away for now, I was sick of looking at it, and reading idiotic posts..
Cool just let me know when you guys will be up there and I'll try and make the time...
I've been riding there since the 80's and try and do my part every ride but it has gotten to the point where that is just not enough..:madman:

I know what you mean about the thread.
Has anyone spoken to Tom since his meeting?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Just rode at case a while ago (less than a week) and the brown is evident. I don't mind it too much, but the leaves can make it a bit difficult to navigate the trails if you aren't a regular there (i just got back into riding after a 2 month period without a bike).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.