Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding (or walking as the case may be) Case from Line Street at 6:00 tonight. intermediate+ pace 2+ hours, but I haven't ridden in a week, so who knows what that means.

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fully expect that it will be a mix of sweet downhills and slow walks up the hills. I'll be sure to post up tonight or tomorrow. That said it looks like it will be completely different after tonight's storm anyway!

John

·
Registered
655 Posts
that means you get to go back out there and try it again tomorrow.... like a whole new forest.

Personally I have yet to get up there... I usually just ride the reservoir, so hopefully when it light out later, I will hit that up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm planning on being there, I've got a light and I rode yesterday, so I'm pretty familiar with the conditions. I'll hopefully see you at Line Street.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, there's three coming from Bikerag as well (I'll be the anchor in THAT group!), but I guess its my ride and I can go as fast as I want to :-D. I'm in a silver Honda mini-van and on a blue Enduro SL.

John

·
Registered
546 Posts
1985 blue toyota cressida, brown stinky and FF helmet. I'll keep it as fast as possible. I can usually keep up with the XC/AM crowd on group rides anyways.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
conditions were amazing. Packed powder just about everywhere. Some ice, very little walking. Schneidie wins the heavy bike contest by a wide margin.

Great ride.

Route - yellow - right on blue, right on blue/red to steel bridge up fern left on powerlines, blue white loop, down slickrock (whoooooooeeeee), left on road down to swamp, up fort and back down yellow/red (whoooooeee again!).
John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have Kenda Nevegal/blue groove 2.35s. For the most part the snow was packed down enough that it didn't matter - any tire would work fine. After this rain/ice (assuming it gets cold) I think studs would be best, but who knows...

·
Registered
616 Posts
I rode in SW CT..

..the other day in about an inch of hard crunch pack and was amazed my IRC Mythos 2.1's hooked up as well as they did. I have always considered getting some studs but haven't seen (or better, felt) a need for them yet. However with all this ice, I am sure any rides in the immediate future would require them.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have homemade studded tires, they work great on ice, but realistically the conditions where they shine only happen maybe twice a winter. When we have those glare ice conditions though, riding studs is amazing. I keep them on my back up bike that way I can easily jump on it when the ride conditions appear. The studded tires are heavy and I'd hate to roll them on a ride like last night where they really wouldn't add much to the experience.

John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure what's happening down in the Man of Chester, but up here we have an inch of ice on the driveway. Based on below freezing temps tonight and generally over the next week, looks like a good time to bring out the studs! I might try a ride tomorrow night if things work out.

John

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.