Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of us at Bikerag are putting together a 40-50 mile ride for next weekend. If you're interested let me know. It will likely be a 8-10 hour ride, and will require food/water drops (i.e. some planning required). Not sure if its going to be Saturday or Sunday at this point.

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
Jisch said:
A few of us at Bikerag are putting together a 40-50 mile ride for next weekend. If you're interested let me know. It will likely be a 8-10 hour ride, and will require food/water drops (i.e. some planning required). Not sure if its going to be Saturday or Sunday at this point.

John
I have the whole weekend free, and am def. game. Where is the start/end? Do you have a link to the bikerag thread?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hey Jisch, any chance you could GPS-topo/motionbased.com this ride for us?

Thanks.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the details:
Ride will be on SATURDAY JULY 12th starting at 9:00 from Case Pond Lot in Manchester, CT (75 Birch Mountain Road, Manchester CT will get you close)

I will be leaving my van at the dirt lot at the end of Toll Gate Road, South Glastonbury, CT. You will need to meet me there if you want to stash anything. I will be leaving Toll Gate Road at 8:30 - so get there with enough time to make the drop, as GI said, this is at the 1/3 and 2/3 point in the ride.

I will bring a cooler filled with ice, bread, peanut butter, jelly, Clif Bars, various snacks and 5 gallons of water. I'll also put in a few tubes, a Shimano and SRAM derailler and a few other various parts. If you think that will cover you - just meet us at Case Pond Lot at 9:00 (no whining if you don't like what's there!). I will need at least one person to meet me at Toll Gate Road so I can drop my van (and someone to drop me off there after the ride). I know this ride can be done without doing a stash, but I think having a vehicle there is a good safety measure in the event of injury or critical mechanical failure. Also it allows us to carry less on the ride.

We should be crossing 94 around 10:00 and into Mesh before 11:30 - if anyone wants to meet us mid-ride, PM me your cell and we'll try and make that happen.

So far I have the following who are going:
Clavin, Jisch, Salem, Scrublover, GI Jane (Mesh only) and MHaskell.
Anyone else?

Any questions, post 'em up here or over at Bikerag - I'll monitor them both.
John

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm

Managuense said:
Hey Jisch, any chance you could GPS-topo/motionbased.com this ride for us?

Thanks.
I don't have a GPS unit - though I'd love to see the details on it post-ride. I think I'm going to hook up my son's bike computer on my bike, so I at least have mileage.

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sounds good, I will try to bring enough so I won't have to dip into the stash. I also will bring my edge305 and throw the whole ride up on motion based after. It is a 2 hour drive for me so i have never ridden the trails, what are they like?

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The trails are technical with a lot of rocks, the route will be a mix of singletrack, doubletrack and some dirt roads here and there. Its pretty hilly - it will be a work out for sure! My intention is for this to be a long technical ride rather than opting out to smoother trails or dirt roads to do the mileage.

I expect a mix of bikes - I know one rider will be on a rigid, geared 29er, I'll be on my 6x6 RM Switch and I suspect Scrub will be on his hardtail.

John

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Jisch said:
The trails are technical with a lot of rocks, the route will be a mix of singletrack, doubletrack and some dirt roads here and there. Its pretty hilly - it will be a work out for sure! My intention is for this to be a long technical ride rather than opting out to smoother trails or dirt roads to do the mileage.

I expect a mix of bikes - I know one rider will be on a rigid, geared 29er, I'll be on my 6x6 RM Switch and I suspect Scrub will be on his hardtail.

John
John, I'm now out.
Other stuff has come up that boots this priority wise down a notch for me. Life conspires, you know?
Still free to ride Friday and Sunday though!

·
from the east
288 Posts
How'd this ride go?

Hey Jisch --

Wondering how this ride went. The weather in NY state was beautiful for riding today. Sounds like you organize a great ride. 50 CT miles is VERY epic. I'd love to be able to make one of these rides sometime.

Eric.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No pics...

I didn't take any pics. If I did It would have been just the other riders butts, since I was in back all day...

Now that was an Epic!

Ended up being four riders - Salem, Clavin, me and a new guy Mark (who's been riding 1.5 years!). I got to play caboose most of the day.

A few stats...
1 bike with two 26" wheels (mine)
1 FS bike (mine)
1 bike that weighed more than 30 lbs (mine)
2 rigid bikes
8 hours ridden - 2 to get to Mesh, 3 in Mesh and 3 to get back to the cars
2 roads crossed
2 crashes (get well Clavin)
0 mechanicals
A lot of H2O drank.
1 bonk

..and a lot of fun. Thanks to Salem for leading us on some awesome trails - most of which I never rode before, and a few that I haven't ridden in 10 years. Definitely a great way to spend a day.

John

·
well mannered lout
3,401 Posts
Better you than me, brother. Wifey and I did 4:15 at Snip and it was plenty!( Dillenback to Hopkins, with some loops) We got off the bikes at 2:00 and I mentioned to Linda that you guys still had 3 or 4 hours left to go. She suggested that maybe I shouldn't ever spend any time with you for fear of you putting ideas in my head.
Amazing run to get out with zero mechanicals. 8 hours on a rigid bike is cowboy toughguy stuff.
The story of Mark coming apart near the end is quite a reminder about how important it can be to do these things as a team. If he ( or any of us ) gets caught out there alone in that state no telling how horribly wrong it can go. All's well that ends well,I guess? K

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The two on rigid bikes (Cliff and Salem) were the fastest two riders (before Cliff's crash). I was on my Switch and I couldn't keep up with them up or down. Truly amazing riders - they really float over stuff.

I feel great about it - it was a great time.

I did 3 hours or so yesterday at the Snip - all good.

Mark's bonk was hard and fast (never seen one like that before), I felt totally unprepared to help him out - but I'm glad I was there to do what I could. The bottom line is to drink enough water so that you have to pee, at least every once in a while. I drank 200 oz of water and a 20 oz Gatorade and only peed once during the ride. I drank two bottles of water on the way home, a beer and two large glasses of water once I got home and it still was pretty late before my next trip to the bathroom, so I was dehydrated too.

John

(edit - I ended up not dropping my van at that 1/3 and 2/3 point in the ride, I just dropped some snacks and 2 gallons of water. With the exception of Salem it was a universal feeling that if the van had been there we would have been pretty tempted to end the ride there)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.