Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The New Year is right around the corner and I am going to put riding the Cascade Triple Crown down as one of my resolutions.

What is the definitive route? I've searched but I'm still a little confused. After completing the Crystal loop do riders descend down to the top of Corral Pass and continue on to ride the Palisades portion, finishing up with Suntops? Or does each portion begin at Hwy 410?

And is it cheating to ride the cat tracks to the summit of Crystal and then descend either via Northway or Powder Bowl?

Rules, man! I gotta have rules!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,746 Posts
....is for sissies....

Just kidding...
I can say that because I've done it. (Without cutting it short by a mile in the dark!)

We started at Buck Creek and rode up the pavement to Crystal and did the loop CCW all the way around and down the access road by the cabins above the bunny hill. Then, back down the road taking the dirt road right part way down that ties in with the Corrall Pass climb. (Most all go this way down and some do it up.) Stash food/water there. Up and around the Palisades loop. Down through Dalles CG to another food/water stash at the bridge. Continue on the SunTop loop.
Really core is turning right on White River up to Buck Creek for the re-fuel and back down Skookum to complete the last loop.

This is the common Double Crown version. Buck Creek up and around Palisades/White River for re-fueling and down Skookum for the Sun Top loop.

You may want to do a Double a few weeks earlier to see how that goes. Elevation gain/loss depends on how sensitive your method of getting it is.

Some figure the CTC at just over or under 14K and 47miles? If I remember. Give yourself 11+ hours too. We held George back and he did it in 10:30 I believe and could have done it faster.

Realistically, it's just a Energizer bunny day. Plug along and you'll be surprised at how far you can go. But, looking at the tops of palisades and Sun Top from Crystal at 9 in the morning with a full day yet is something to behold. "We're going there?"

Does that help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sure does help...so, ride the pavement up and do the Crystal loop, then ride back down from Crystal catching that dirt road from the pavement of Crystal Mtn Blvd to the top of Corral Pass (where the singletrack starts for Noble Knob/Palisades). Continue down Palisades to 410, then do Suntops, right?

In other words, after completing Crystal one doesn't have to ride all the way back down to 410 and climb back up Corral Pass to make it legit, but one should ride the Crystal Loop (no cat track climbing). Throwing Skookum Flats somewhere in the mix would = extra points.

Right?
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Uruk-hai said:
...so, ride the pavement up and do the Crystal loop, then ride back down from Crystal catching that dirt road from the pavement of Crystal Mtn Blvd to the top of Corral Pass (where the singletrack starts for Noble Knob/Palisades).
This should read to the bottom of Corral Pass. Not the very bottom (Hwy 410), but close. Maybe I'm mis-reading what you wrote, but you go almost all the way down to 410 and do the climb up to Corral Pass.

Maybe there should be a new Complete Cascade Triple Crown. All climbs start from 410. :skep: Makes a little difference, bonus footies.

Rode it with Borneo 2 or 3 or 4 (???) years ago, time to do it again. Faster, [edit] maybe [/edit], just for kicks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is where I get confused because years ago (1999?) we skied Green Valley in July then hopped on our bikes in the Crystal parking lot and rode down to the Noble Knob/Palisades trailhead at the top of Corral Pass...and I don't remember any climbing like what we do when we climb up from 410. So I guess I need to break out the topos and look for the route.

Makes sense though. I couldn't understand how you could total 11K-14K climbing by just essentially descending from Crystal and then starting the Palisades ride from the top of Corral.
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Uruk-hai said:
This is where I get confused because years ago (1999?) we skied Green Valley in July then hopped on our bikes in the Crystal parking lot and rode down to the Noble Knob/Palisades trailhead at the top of Corral Pass...and I don't remember any climbing like what we do when we climb up from 410. So I guess I need to break out the topos and look for the route.

Makes sense though. I couldn't understand how you could total 11K-14K climbing by just essentially descending from Crystal and then starting the Palisades ride from the top of Corral.
Not sure how you can connect up high from Crystal to Corral without going through Wilderness. A quick look at a 7.5 minute and it looks like there's a trail, that would be cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,746 Posts
Even if that trail were poached, there would still be some climbing from the bottom of the valley. We peeled right after the last parking lot and went down the dirt access road that comes out maybe a 1/4 mile up the Corral Pass Road.

Yes, up the Northway trail and around through Bear Pits and past Hen Skin CCW old school Kirkendal style.

Definately a big day and something to set a goal for. Totally doable for many if they really want and definately epic.

Faster Monte? I dunno, I'm that much older and slower now. Maybe add Huckleberry to the Cascade Quintuple Down... :eekster: Finish up right at the Greenwater Tavern for the celebratory cold one? :thumbsup:
 

·
meh....
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
Borneo said:
Even if that trail were poached, there would still be some climbing from the bottom of the valley. We peeled right after the last parking lot and went down the dirt access road that comes out maybe a 1/4 mile up the Corral Pass Road.

Yes, up the Northway trail and around through Bear Pits and past Hen Skin CCW old school Kirkendal style.

Definately a big day and something to set a goal for. Totally doable for many if they really want and definately epic.

Faster Monte? I dunno, I'm that much older and slower now. Maybe add Huckleberry to the Cascade Quintuple Down... :eekster: Finish up right at the Greenwater Tavern for the celebratory cold one? :thumbsup:
Borneo,
Faster would mean shorter breaks for the most part.

Monte
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, I don't know what I was thinking then. I just don't remember having to climb all that much after leaving the Crystal Parking lot. But I guess we did.

Thanks for all the intel. I'll post my success/failure later on this year.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top