Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 2009! It's about time I reconnected to past, present, and future Cream Puffer's!

The Cascade Cream Puff website www.cascadecreampuff.com has recently been updated. See Homepage and Results for 2008 for most recent updates. Click on excel spreadsheet link for finalized official results (Yes, it has finally actually happened!).

Race date: Sunday, July 12th 2009.Registration opens: Monday, January 5th 2009, download form from website (include check for $246.00 U.S. dollars only), mail it in. Make check payable to Cascade Cream Puff, LLC.

If you were a registered racer for the 2008 race (and did not receive a refund, or partial refund) I will guaranty you a spot into the 2009 race provided I receive your registration by January 12th 2009. First Class U.S. Postal (snail mail) should get it to me on time. There is no need for expensive overnight mail!

If you did not race in the 2008 Cascade Cream Puff overnight mail might be a good idea?

Mail registration to:Cascade Cream Puff, LLC1689 Charnelton StreetEugene, OR 97401

The race date has been pushed back to July in an attempt to be able to access the upper reaches of the Alpine Trail network. Last year we were shut out by snow! Oh, the weather outside is frightful…July is so delightful…so if you like single track flow…melt the snow, melt the snow, melt the snow.

The 2009 race course is yet to be determined but it will include the Alpine Trail (permit dependent).

If there is an additional event in 2009…? It will be mostly single track (approximately 85%). There will be plenty of climbing. It will be held in September…It will probably be an unofficial ride/race…? It will probably be self supported…? It may have minimal course markings…? Derrick & I rode the course last September…it was BAD ASS!

Please do not expect a response to emails for a while. It's the holidays and I have a lot on my plate right now. I do not check this address for Cream Puff stuff much. If you do email me please do so at [email protected]

The 2009 Cascade Cream Puff race should be as good, and or better, than any of the years in the past! Plan on another awesome event! Don't sweat the small stuff. Things are good.

scott

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Pretty certain

Ghostrider said:
How many of you got your registration out yesterday? I did and was worndering how fast it fills up.
I'm pretty certain [like 99.9999999 per cent] you're in. The race took over month to fill last year, and I believe the've upped the entry limit from @ 140 last year to 200 this year.
Me? I sent my entry in yesterday too - I'm a returning rider from last year, and the year before, which supposedly means I get a spot.
It's a great race, I'm sure you'll be amazed. Good luck and see ya in Oakridge come July.

·
Tripolar on most days
440 Posts
I was debating entering all yesterday morning as I am doing another 100 miler 3 weeks before, I hope I recover fast this year.. Really looking forward to this race though. When do they let you know if you got in?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Ghostrider said:
I was debating entering all yesterday morning as I am doing another 100 miler 3 weeks before, I hope I recover fast this year.. Really looking forward to this race though. When do they let you know if you got in?
2 to 3 weeks recovery is ideal, in my experience. You can always check to see if your check was cashed to see whether you got in. The CCP doesn't fill up quickly. Did it even sell out last year?

·
Registered
264 Posts
$246? Holy greenback batman. I was thinking about doing this race...hard to justify it with the price though. Why is it so expensive? Permits? You can't eat more than $30 worth of food...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Because people will pay it.

I don't know all the in's and outs of race promotion, and I am sure there are costs (insurance, food, permits, time, etc) but I think the biggest reason its 250 is people will pay that and the race will earn a profit.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Seems Like I Do This Every Year

Yeesh, it seems like I do this every year......

First off, any "profit" from the CCP goes to trail building or maintenance @ Oakridge. The race is limited to 200 to keep from tearing them up too greatly.

For your $246 dollars you receive the following: Free camping with hot showers @ the high school, socks and a t-shirt, dinner the evening before the race, and an incredible raffle. All your gear hauled to the various aid stations the night before the race.
The day of the race: breakfast, fully stocked aid stations and mechanical support - like as if you were a "pro", with just about anything you could imagine. Free dinner after the race [last year it was catered, made to order, by a Thai restaurant from Eugene]. A free massage after the race.
And last but not least........ a flippen clock if you make it into the the top three in your class.

No one I've ever met who's done the race, has ever thought of the event as anything less than a bargain, with the best course anywhere. I'm sure looking forward to this years race.
If I've missed anything, I'm sure others will chime in.

·
DennisS
10 Posts
Amazing

It always befuddles me that people get on this forum and constantly complain about the price of events. I think in the most part it a huge amount of volunteers that take their personal time for the love of the sport and your enjoyment to put on all the excellent events us riders have the privilege of attending. Then to top it off usually in most cases the money left over at the end of the day goes back into our sport whether it is new trails, trail maintenance or a charitable organization.

·
Registered
31 Posts
But wait, there's more!

Don't forget that EVERY finisher gets a Finisher's Hat. A nice baseball cap, comfy, and quite frankly, a badge of honor you'll want to wear all the time.

jms said:
Yeesh, it seems like I do this every year......

First off, any "profit" from the CCP goes to trail building or maintenance @ Oakridge. The race is limited to 200 to keep from tearing them up too greatly.

For your $246 dollars you receive the following: Free camping with hot showers @ the high school, socks and a t-shirt, dinner the evening before the race, and an incredible raffle. All your gear hauled to the various aid stations the night before the race.
The day of the race: breakfast, fully stocked aid stations and mechanical support - like as if you were a "pro", with just about anything you could imagine. Free dinner after the race [last year it was catered, made to order, by a Thai restaurant from Eugene]. A free massage after the race.
And last but not least........ a flippen clock if you make it into the the top three in your class.

No one I've ever met who's done the race, has ever thought of the event as anything less than a bargain, with the best course anywhere. I'm sure looking forward to this years race.
If I've missed anything, I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
tribune said:
$246? Holy greenback batman. I was thinking about doing this race...hard to justify it with the price though. Why is it so expensive? Permits? You can't eat more than $30 worth of food...
Get sponsored.

·
Registered
249 Posts
$250 is a lot of money up front and is painful to put my name on the bottom of the check. But I just sent the Sea Otter $52 for a 2 hr race of thirty + miles and I don't get much else for that money. So if I did a 10 hr Sea Otter race I'd pay more money ($260), get a nifty plastic bag that has 1 minnie Powerbar, 1 gel pack, a 1 yr discount on MBA and a parking pass. I think CCP might be a better offer in those terms? Bottom line if it's too much for you to pay don't! But don't whine to the people that will pay. Cause I don't care and the promoters just get pissed at your whining.

·
Registered
191 Posts
As mentioned you get a lot of the $246... meals, camping, socks, t-shirt, hopefully a fancy hat, etc. Most normal people don't keep enough fitness to just go out an ride the Cream Puff, they have to train for it. Think of the fitness you get for $246 and then think of what you'd get at a gym for $246. I'll take the CCP.

Also... if it's your first 100 miler, think of all those rides you've done in the past that seemed huge. After a ride like the CCP, they'll just seem like "a ride" and you can do them all the time.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
And there's EVEN MORE!

PUFF is the only race that weeks later I could close my eyes and still see and feel the flow of the trails.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Well said Fantcy Hat.

Money is tight for a lot of folks these days. However, the cost of the CCP is put into perspective when you see how the oregon cycling community puts forth the effort to clear trails of downed trees, land slides, washed out bridges, etc. It is an amazing accomplishment just to clear and maintain all the trails that they have in the Wetfir/Oakridge area. Most all of the people manning the aid stations at the CCP are the same people that were out clearing and marking trails months, weeks, and days before the event is scheduled to kick off. The folks in the DOD, and those that have been welcomed into their cycling community in the Oakridge area, have a passion for MTBing and community. Come for the experience of the CCP. It will be the best adventure vacation you have all year.

Just remember, if you're coming to race, get ready to climb long, ride 50ish miles of some of the best singletrack that Oregon has to offer (some might say the best single track in the nation......I'll leave that up to you), and come to give it your all......because this race will take all you've got to give. Get ready for the experience!!

I hope to see you at the start line.

Cheers! :D

Fancy Hat said:
As mentioned you get a lot of the $246... meals, camping, socks, t-shirt, hopefully a fancy hat, etc. Most normal people don't keep enough fitness to just go out an ride the Cream Puff, they have to train for it. Think of the fitness you get for $246 and then think of what you'd get at a gym for $246. I'll take the CCP.

Also... if it's your first 100 miler, think of all those rides you've done in the past that seemed huge. After a ride like the CCP, they'll just seem like "a ride" and you can do them all the time.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My entry fee check was cashed yesterday. This will be my first CCP at a week shy of 49
years old. Hope just to finish the race by the time cutoff. Question from past survivors of
the CCP, which would you prefer- a Scott Scale with a suspension seatpost or an Ibis Mojo.
Also for tire choices, are there lots of sharp rocks and big roots? A set of Furious Freds or
Racing Ralphs for the course????
thanks
Mitch in Boise

·
Registered
459 Posts
tribune said:
Thats like asking a doctor why so much education to do surgery on your body, its because its 2009 and the race oganizers derserve to make a buck to. I do understand it might be a little steep but think about how much prep go's into a race like this, it takes months of prep, anyhow good luck.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
mtbmitch2 said:
My entry fee check was cashed yesterday. This will be my first CCP at a week shy of 49
years old. Hope just to finish the race by the time cutoff. Question from past survivors of
the CCP, which would you prefer- a Scott Scale with a suspension seatpost or an Ibis Mojo.
Also for tire choices, are there lots of sharp rocks and big roots? A set of Furious Freds or
Racing Ralphs for the course????
thanks
Mitch in Boise
You're in my class, but I'm taking a year off, so I'll share some of my secrets to success. ;)

I would choose the Mojo over the hardtail, esp if you have a light build on it. I rode two puffs with suspension bikes and one with a hardtail equipped with a ti post. It beat the crap out of me the last 3 hours.

Furious Fred would be too fragile for the single track portions of the course. I would go fast, but a little tougher in the back (SB8, Crossmark, etc.). Racing Ralph sounds like a very good choice up front. Good to have some control up there, and the rolling resistance matters less up front. If you're determined to stick with Schwalbe at both ends, perhaps a moderately worn Ralph would work in back.

It's a GREAT race. See you there. I'll be the one in the shade at one of the aid stations!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.