Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The course has been decided on, well at least 98% of it, we still have to wait the two weeks to see if the last 6'+ of snow melts on one section of the trail. This has been a record year of snow and trees down on the trails in our area. When I road the course yesterday I climbed over 200 or so trees on one of the roads (cleared now) and hiked over 2 miles of snow (along with other volunteers out marking the course).

Here is the Motionbased.com link. It works out to about 54 miles for the lap, of which 2 laps will be done. The elevation is in the 7000' per lap range, for some reason it isn't showing up right on motionbased.

Course description and map will be posted up by Topofusion.com this week, with links from the CCP100 website.

The course in short (and if you know the trails and roads):
1910 road climb to Windy Pass (aid station), left to Alpine trail, up to Tire Mtn trail, to Windberry Divide trail, to Windberry Tie Trail. Right on road 150 (aid station) to road 151 to road 1802 (aid station), right on 1802 to Windy Pass (Aid station), to Alpine trail down to the Red Covered Bridge in Westfir (Aid Station).

Start and Finish will be at the Red Covered Bridge.

The only possible change will be taking road 1802 to road 141 and turn left to road 140 to the Alpine Trail (Jedi Section).

All the official info will be posted on the main website this week.

Hope your climbing legs and singletrack skills on ready, see you in two weeks.

For now here is the google earth shot.

Snow at 140 and 1912 top of Jedi section.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Wow....

Richard, thanks for posting the update.

I'm in awe at the amount of snow you all have up there right now.

In contrast, I could ride trail to Tahoe from Auburn with little to no snow hiking!

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
Myself and I think a couple of other folks from

Santa Cruz will be up there as well. It will be nice getting a break from the 100+ deg temps and fires! Looking forward to meeting you all and having a fantastic time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mmmmmmm, snow

The Canadian contingent humbly suggests, as a welcoming cultural gesture, that all snow be left as is for race day and prime points be awarded to the first racer to build a 4' tall snowman. Bonus points if the snowman has hockey pucks for eyes.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Geez, cold beer, good company...

and now you Canadian's want the snow to stay....next thing you'll say is there should be competitive Curling in the Sour Grass Meadows. :D

Have a safe trip down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am looking to Carpool/rideshare down from Portland, leaving Sat, mid morning. I will most likely come back on Monday as well. I have a Suby with ample room for gear inside and bikes topside. Let me know if you are interested.

See you down there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the e-mail that I got at the end of May said 2 laps. From the e-mail:

66 mile course using approximately ½ forest roads ½ forest trails. Second lap approximately 34 miles. (All of the following mileage estimates are ESTIMATES!, I have not been able to pre-ride the course yet this year because of all the snow still out there.)
This is the same course used for the 2006 Cascade Cream Puff.

this will be may first time at the CCP. Looking forward to it, getting nervous!
Looking at the Seattle weather, it looks like its going to be a warm weekend. Possible high of 85 in Seattle so maybe even warmer down in Oakridge for the race?

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Check out the original post. Your info is outdated, due to snow depths preventing access to the upper reaches of the desired course -- I surmise.

No official post of the course on the race website yet. My guess is that the race promoter is waiting until the last minute, in hopes of including the Jedi Section of the Alping Trail.

Our fingers are crossed, Scott!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Read the original post.

This will be a two lap course (~53 mile laps according to my gps) with 14,000' of elevation gain. It is possible that the jedi section of alpine will be included in the course but very unlikely due to snow, we will see.

Richard or Scott- can you please label the aid stations with the appropriate numbers so i can label my drop bags and have them ready to go prior to arriving in Oakridge? Thanks

BFE

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am confuseled. The Motion Based link is showing a 2 lap, 54 M/lap with about 14K of climbing. The TopoFusion 08 CCP map is showing 4 laps. Any clarifications. I'm sure Scott is in the weeds w/ all leading up to the race, but it would be helpful if he would post to the CCP site soon. No matter really... all we need do is show up w/ some lube and start riding.
Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting, I hadn't seen the map on TopoFusion before. Although either way you slice it, its the same as the course described in the first post, only it breaks up the laps into two parts, the upper (windeberry loop) and lower (alpine trail). Topo fusion has us doing two uppers then two lowers, while General Coonskins has us doing upper, lower, upper then lower. I'd prefer the two lap course as there will be almost no chance of dealing with lapped riders, while the four lap course I can there being issues with lapped riders. But from a promoters perspective, it is probably easier to have us all off the farther out Windberry section earlier, and probably safer too. Either way it sounds like an incredible 108 miles with 14k of climbing. It also looks like it will be hot, the forecast on weather.com is calling for 87 as the high. Other than the heat, I think the race will rock. I am looking forward to it.

See you all Sat.

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry about the confusion. The TopoFusion map (posted today) is the latest (and I believe, final) course, straight from Scott T's keyboard.

I believe he's hammering away to get out an announcement and to get the website updated by today.

14,000' per lap is definitely an over estimate. Even the TopoFusion file shows a pretty outlandish number, but that's due to the GPS unit used and resolution of the track. I estimated around 8000' of climbing per lap on the 2 lap course, and the new course is about the same. I'd say no more than 18,000' total.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I heard yesterday that there has been a change in the course... Still the same trails but ridden in more of a "4 lap" configuration. I'm not familiar enough with the trails to explain the changes but I know there was some consideration to riders being WAY out on the 2nd lap and running sweep on the course. I've also heard the Jedi section will be included.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.