Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hello to all! I'm Scott creator of and soon to be returning race director of the Cascade Cream Puff 100 mountain bike race.

Shiggy has posted race results from this years race (2006) at puff100.netfirms.com

Next years web site address (still under construction) will be cascadecreampuff.com

More to come soon.

"Miles to go before I sleep."

Scott

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm planning on taking it to the next level in 2007. The race will be moving to July (not the 4th of July weekend!), probably 2nd or 3rd weekend in July. Exact date to be determined. The reason for the date change is to allow more time to clear some of the higher elevation trails in the Oakridge Oregon region to allow us to use those trails for the course (permit dependent).

Thanks to a broken leg (Whistler mountain bike park) I will be reading and responding to posts & emails frequently. I will be out of work for some time. Hopefully I will be learning web page building and administration soon. Thanks in advance at lswing! I just got hooked up to a high speed connection which will also help. I've not been one to use this medium much in the past, not enough hours in the day!

Trails have been my passion for the past few years. That's the main reason I gave up the promotion of the Cascade Cream Puff all those years ago.....Well, an old abandoned trail has been revived and I plan to put next years race course on it. Bunchgrass Ridge here we come (permit dependent).

·
Scott in Tucson
1,331 Posts
Reviver said:
I'm planning on taking it to the next level in 2007.

Well, an old abandoned trail has been revived and I plan to put next years race course on it. Bunchgrass Ridge here we come (permit dependent).
Hey Scott,

Sorry to hear about the crash and down time, right in the middle of summer. You'll have to come down to Tucson again next winter to make up for lost riding time.

Sounds great about CCP '07. Isn't Bunchgrass fairly technical / slow / some hike-a-bike? Will this addition to the course make times a little slower? Or have you got it so cleared out and super-tuned that it's lightning fast?

Heal up.

Scott Morris

·
Registered
183 Posts
Please reduce entry fee and amenities

Hey Scott

Glad to hear you're taking over...sounds like Shiggy was gettin' kinda burned out.

I have not participated in the CCP100 yet b/c of the high entry fees.

Please consider reducing it and drastically reducing amenities correspondingly...

I mean no or very little amenities...no dinners the day before or day of...no stocked rest stops...no tee-shirts...no hats...and anything else that is not absolutely necessary...

You say you want to take it to the next level...in my opinion, you actually should take it back to the spirit of the race when it first started...I'm sure that there wasn't a $200 entry fee that first year...The Crested Butte 100 that just took place had no entry fees at all...and no amenities...

I dunno just my 2 cents Scott...I really would love to do this race/ride next year...

cheers, matt

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Scott-

Brian from SoCal here...we meet last spring while you were roadtripping down this way.

Glad to hear you're taking the event over. Shiggy has done a great job but I know you'll take over where he left off.

Count on seeing me there next year!

B

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott,

I'd love to make it back to Tucson, probably not this winter though. No money or time left since I'm out of work for a prolonged period of time.

The Bunchgrass Ridge is fairly technical / slow / some hike-a-bike. The trail is getting much better though. Traffic is just what the Bunchgrass Ridge trail needs, and that's what it will get. The Alpine trail used to be a primitive trail 16 years ago, before the start of the CCP. The only lightening we might see will be coming from the ski.

Thanks for the get well wish.

Scott

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brian,

I remember who you are! I mean really...how many asses are there out there, I mean Donkey's, oops.

Looking forward to seeing you in are neighborhood next year!

Scott

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Wow, lots of DNFs...

for a creampuff, for a girlie ride. Gee, back in the old days some guy even raced it wearing a skirt!

·
Let go lightly
220 Posts
It was HOT!

Zignzag said:
for a creampuff, for a girlie ride. Gee, back in the old days some guy even raced it wearing a skirt!
Hey Rob,

My first year doing it so nothing to compare it to but it was HOT! Don't know what it was like the 4 times you did it, but I was told 105 degrees at the peak this year - lot's of people with stomach problems. I finished with just 5 minutes to spare before the 8:30pm cutoff!

Alex

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skirt wearing, pink casted, girlie.....enjoying my newfound communication forum. "It's easy, it's just a cream puff."

Next year might be challenging for some though. Time waits for no girlie man.

Scott

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Good job!

CruzSS said:
Hey Rob,

My first year doing it so nothing to compare it to but it was HOT! Don't know what it was like the 4 times you did it, but I was told 105 degrees at the peak this year - lot's of people with stomach problems. I finished with just 5 minutes to spare before the 8:30pm cutoff!

Alex
I figured that heat was to blame. 2 of the years I did it it was hot, and I've done the "5 minutes to spare" thing too. It's called using all of the daylight.

The Alpine Trail descent is tough when it's getting dark, you're beat up and fatigued, and you're trying to stay focused on a narrow trail that's carved out of a steep slope. Finishing sure feels sweet, though.

Congrats on completing one of the toughest rides there is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI Scott,

Cheers to the visionary of one of the coolest races known to mtn bikers. I was one of the stragglers coming in just before the cut-off but made it to the finish with a smile! I can't wait for next year. I'll be out there to ride again this fall and enjoy trail work myself. Let me know if you want some help. thanks for a fun (and humbling) race!

bethany

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bethany,

I'm in my 5th week of lower leg cast wearing. Hopefully by this fall I will be able to go out to do trail work again! It would be great to have your help doing some trail work, thank you for the offer. Let's stay in touch.

For everyone else out there. The above offer is open to all!

Scott

·
Registered
183 Posts
apology for ealier post

Sorry about that earlier post regarding the entry fees. I know that it is a ton of work to put on a race of this caliber. And no one who did the race is complaining about the fee and everyone always has a great time which is the most important thing. Good luck in preparing for the race for next year. Hopefully I'll see you there.

~matt

·
Registered
77 Posts
Entry Fees--Keep Them Reasonable

i'm w/Matt on this one (notwithstanding his last post).
personally, i think anything more than $75 is ridiculous.
in my opinion, an entry fee should cover costs + maybe 10% profit to invest in the event for next time.
did he say $200 entry fee: doing the math on this: $200/rider x 110 riders (field limit) = $22,000!--does anyone believe it takes THAT kind of money to put on an endurance ride?--let's get real.

just speaking for myself, when i PAY TO RIDE an event such as this i'd like:
1. a well-marked course;
2. aid-stations as "appropriate";
3. refreshments at the end; &
4. a decent t-shirt or equivalent commerative item.
i don't make mention of prize money as i'm not at that fitness level & i have a day job. as someone else pointed out, the CB100, KTR & others are free. let the elite-level "racers" seek out the NORBA events for their prize money while the rest of us (the remaining 90% of the field) enjoy these long-distance rides as grass-roots "Quality of Life" events.
of course, volunteers & "sponsors" play an integral part & help reduce costs.
i've never been involved or put on an organized event, but just speaking from my own perspective.

Steve in Tallahassee, FL

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've been reading a lot of posts about what the toughest race is out there. Personally my vote goes for all the ones I'm not participating in: 6 plus weeks in a cast and I just began weight bearing!

I had planned to pre-ride next years proposed course near the end of this season, when I had hoped to be in good enough shape to finish the ride. Now, I'm sure I won't be able to pre-ride all of the course before the top is buried in snow. I'll be lucky if I'm able to do a long ride by the 1st snow!

I'm trying to get a feel for what people want. Do they want harder courses. Or do they prefer sticking to the known familiar ones? I consider the 3 lap CCP format to be relatively easy now. The trails are much smoother than they were in the beginning, they are fast & smooth.

It would be much easier for myself & the volunteers to keep it simple & not change it up. But I would like to change the course and bring the CCP to newly revived trails & new terrain. I believe the new course will be tougher though....Is that what people want?

Please give me feedback.

Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Scott -

Hang tough! You will start healing faster and faster, and before you know it, charging around again.

I would like to see new terrain - alpine loop three times is not exactly easy ;) but it is nice to get some variety. I loved the Winberry/Tire mountain trail (religous) and the Saddle Blanket Mtn loop - more stuff like that would be awesome.

Tougher sound good too.

Baker

·
Registered
553 Posts
AD4E said:
i'm w/Matt on this one (notwithstanding his last post).
personally, i think anything more than $75 is ridiculous.
in my opinion, an entry fee should cover costs + maybe 10% profit to invest in the event for next time.
did he say $200 entry fee: doing the math on this: $200/rider x 110 riders (field limit) = $22,000!--does anyone believe it takes THAT kind of money to put on an endurance ride?--let's get real.

Steve in Tallahassee, FL
LOL. Some of these guys are probably running the event to MAKE MONEY like any sensible business. Why would they only charge enuf to cover costs and to invest in the next event? Does the company you work for make a profit? You better hope so, otherwise you'd work for free as you suggest these promoters should.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.