Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Team Tortuga
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Casa Grande Mtn worth riding? I have read brief reviews on MTBikeAZ.com but have never been there. Any thoughts or comments? What kind of trail does it compare to?

·
Team Tortuga
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's funny! But those days are pretty much over, Cosmic Ray got me through my first couple of years but now I crave more. Is CG in the new book or something? Mine is quite weathered and out of date. All I am saying is that I live in the NW valley and am wondering if CG is worth stopping by either on a trip to Tucson or after a SOMO. I would hate to bypass F**S, Hawes, PM, or SOMO to go there and then......dum dum dum....it sucks.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I have not ridden CG mountain for a couple of years, but really like riding there. The trails were really well laid out. IMO the trails there are more interesting than Hawes in design and scenery, but compare to Hawes in difficulty. If I remember right there are a couple of spots where you can climb higher on trail to access a couple of more technical descents.

It's about a 50 minute drive to the trail from my house and I think it is worth the trip.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Fun Trails

At least I like them. All the trails here are built by Mountain Bikers and range from easy to some testy stuff on the south end. If you come out alone print one of the maps for a guide, some of the trails take sharp or quick turns to deter quads and motos and can be difficult to pick back up. The north loop and connector trails are swoopy and fun. The south loops are a little tougher. All the splinter trails lead back to the main.
There's a local shop ride Sat. at 9am. Mostly us older fat guys riding 5-10 miles before family commitments. Turnouts lite this time of year but this group can get you on the right tracks. Don't worry about getting lost all trails are on the east side and you can see I-8 or I-10 easily.

·
MTBikeAZ.com
117 Posts
Of course YOU like the trails Charlie :)

CrAZy, if you are an all mtn rider you will want to do the lollipop loop. On my map, follow the main blue trail to the Black Loop. Ride East Leg to West Leg for some fun climbing and sweet downhill.

I dare say that side of the mountain reminds me of a mini Bootleg (the XC stuff not the downhill), bench cut, exposed, fast.

Definitely worth the trip even if you are not on your way to Tucson. CGM is not South Mountain kind of riding. Don't expect that much gnar. Expect a fun XC ride that will give you enough challenge to want to come back. Now get out there and explore. Then tell us what you think.

·
Team Tortuga
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TheBarqsMan said:
Of course YOU like the trails Charlie :)

I dare say that side of the mountain reminds me of a mini Bootleg (the XC stuff not the downhill), bench cut, exposed, fast.
You had me at Bootleg! Thanks for the replies. I will get out and ride it soon and give a review afterwards.

Chris

·
Ridin' Dirty
460 Posts
ahhh, good 'ol CG Mountain.
I haven't been out there in ages.
Worth the trip crAZy Irish!

·
Trail Monger
204 Posts
I have been wanting to know the same thing. I heard that the network is extensive and kool. I would like to know how much(if any) exposure it has. I really like BCT for this. Hawes has moments of it. Still looking for more exposure! Brian

·
Registered
62 Posts
crAZy Irish said:
Is Casa Grande Mtn worth riding? I have read brief reviews on MTBikeAZ.com but have never been there. Any thoughts or comments? What kind of trail does it compare to?[/QU

Its mostly xc riding, nice to do at least once and check it off your list. I think if your headed to tucson and have some time its worth riding. A little tricky to find the trailhead.

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
Thread revival...

I am probably going to go and raid my Mom's fridge in CG on Saturday and I want to hook up for a ride.

What is the name/number of the shop that "organizes" the rides?

For SS 29'er what would be better, 32x22 or 32x20?

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
Thank you very much.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
@cesslinger, @crAZy irish : We meet @ 9:00ish in the North parking lot at the end of Peart Road. Group usually includes one of two (if not both) of the original trail builders. The focus of the group ride is more social than just getting out and hammering as fast as we can go (some of us are on SS's). So anybody wanting to check out the sweet trails on CG Mountain is welcome to come ride with us.

·
Ridin' Dirty
460 Posts
I may be out there this Saturday. It's been awhile since I've been out there and would love to get out there and ride again.
For post-ride eats hit up the Big Red Cafe on Florence blvd and tell them Bobby sent you!

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
rtbs said:
@cesslinger, @crAZy irish : We meet @ 9:00ish in the North parking lot at the end of Peart Road. Group usually includes one of two (if not both) of the original trail builders. The focus of the group ride is more social than just getting out and hammering as fast as we can go (some of us are on SS's). So anybody wanting to check out the sweet trails on CG Mountain is welcome to come ride with us.
I'm bringing an SS also. I'm really excited to ride a new to me trail.

See you Sat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bgrafk said:
I may be out there this Saturday. It's been awhile since I've been out there and would love to get out there and ride again.
For post-ride eats hit up the Big Red Cafe on Florence blvd and tell them Bobby sent you!
Sweet, We would love to have you!!

Big Red is good you say? I have always wanted to try it but haven't yet. What type of food do they serve?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just realized that there will be a full moon this Friday and would like to get an impromptu night ride together. We ran the North Loop in pitch black Monday and it was a blast. Plan is to go right after the shop closes @ 6:00 so I imagine we will be ITP by about 6:30. We will do the North loop again since it's a short trail (about 5 miles) that has nothing deadly should you veer off course. Any vampire shredders out there?

As a side note we will still be doing the normal Saturday group ride @ 9:00am.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It's a very rough trail with paralell upper and lower trails in places, upper being tougher and lower easier. 13 miles of trail lots of rock and cholla everywhere. Several tough climbs.
The section in the ironwoods is sweet. One rock wash is very tech and fun.

·
Ridin' Dirty
460 Posts
rtbs said:
Sweet, We would love to have you!!

Big Red is good you say? I have always wanted to try it but haven't yet. What type of food do they serve?
Breakfast, burgers, sandwiches, type of place.
Quality food, big portions and great prices :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts