Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Stubby-legged
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
If your LBS

doesn't do it for you, you can't beat Carver and the crew. They are our "local' internet source here in Maine. I've bought their 96er frame.
 

·
Front Range Cyclist
Joined
·
944 Posts
Can't say enough good stuff about Carver. Good stuff. I have a 96er. It's the way to go
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Carvers makes a sweet frame and the price is right,theres my limited production 650b alm. killer bee on e bay if you want to go in that direction
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
206 Posts
I saw that. Probably should have hit the "Buy It Now" button before I bid. Doh!

AMCAT said:
Carvers makes a sweet frame and the price is right,theres my limited production 650b alm. killer bee on e bay if you want to go in that direction
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,987 Posts
What seat tube angle does Carver's Killer-B have? It's not listed on their geometry table. A top tube length with out a corresponding STA doesn't tell you much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,598 Posts
laffeaux said:
What seat tube angle does Carver's Killer-B have? It's not listed on their geometry table. A top tube length with out a corresponding STA doesn't tell you much.
Probably best to ask that question directly to the source via the Carver or bikeman.com sites.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
I just sent this email off to Carver but thought I'd try here as well.

I was considering a Killer B and was wondering about the fork recommendation. Would it be a 4" travel fork with a 490 A/C? I have the Carver carbon fork on another bike and I believe that was 470mm A/C. 20mm difference would approximate the sag on a 4" travel suspension bike so I assume that's(490)what was intended.

I was also looking for something that would also work with a 29" wheel in front(only). Would a Killer B with a 4" travel fork and 650B front wheel handle similar to the same frame with a 3" travel fork and 29" front wheel? That should put the handlebars about half an inch higher which doesn't seem like that much of a difference.

That's what I sent but to add a little more to the backstory, I'm looking for a new bike for endurance racing and I'd like to have a bike that's as adaptable as can be. I'd like to build this up as a 650B with a 100mm travel fork. If I decided I need a little more roll over I could pull the travel down to 80mm and put a 29er wheel on it. I could also go with the 29er wheel and the Carver carbon fork if I wanted to run rigid. With the sliders it could also be run geared or SS.

It seems like the most adaptable Ti bike in it's pricerange. Am I thinking right here or is trying to put a 29er front wheel on a Killer B going to mess up the handling?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
This is the response I got from Davis Carver about the Geometry question.

Yes, a 100mm travel fork will lose roughly 20 mm. (20% of it's travel ) to
sag.

If you want to use the KillerBee with a 29" front wheel (we call it the
BumbleBee) a 29er fork that can be converted from 80 mm to 100 would be
perfect.


I just can't get my mind around a full 29er and those long chainstays. This seems like it would keep good geometry in either configuration and if I decided to build a 29er wheel sometime down the road I could take advantage of the greater roll-over and not mess up the back end. I feel like I almost know what I want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
I just got a Carver Carbon Fiber fork for my rigid Kona Unit singlespeed. I ordered it on line. The price was great. The shipping was the lowest I've seen in a while. I arrived in New York in only a couple of days. And the fork is beautiful.

What more could you ask?!
 

·
xc'er
Joined
·
30 Posts
killer b

i'm the guy that hit the 'buy it now' on that ebay Killer B last summer. no regrets at all though there's been a few very sweet deals on used softtail ti frames out there lately. i gotta say that the "Bee" is by far my favorite bike yet, the quality and workmanship is incredible. i really like the design and features, and the ride quality is excellent. it had to be nice for me to give up my last bike-an '07 kestrel edge(traded in mostly because of worries about carbon crash durability and my lust for titanium). it's a very clean bike. carver welds are spot on, surely the best china has to offer and challenges most bikes ive seen that are made in the USA(especially at the pricepoint), though it is a farely simple or basic frame compared to elite bikes like blacksheep or jeff jones(elite because they are $3-4k framesets). i've also got a fairweather klein carbon retro bike, but the carver is my main ride, and will be until i save up enough for that custom unsuspended B.S. or Jones frameset :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
624 Posts
lowmassmetals said:
i'm the guy that hit the 'buy it now' on that ebay Killer B last summer. no regrets at all though there's been a few very sweet deals on used softtail ti frames out there lately. i gotta say that the "Bee" is by far my favorite bike yet, the quality and workmanship is incredible. i really like the design and features, and the ride quality is excellent. it had to be nice for me to give up my last bike-an '07 kestrel edge(traded in mostly because of worries about carbon crash durability and my lust for titanium). it's a very clean bike. carver welds are spot on, surely the best china has to offer and challenges most bikes ive seen that are made in the USA(especially at the pricepoint), though it is a farely simple or basic frame compared to elite bikes like blacksheep or jeff jones(elite because they are $3-4k framesets). i've also got a fairweather klein carbon retro bike, but the carver is my main ride, and will be until i save up enough for that custom unsuspended B.S. or Jones frameset :thumbsup:
I agree with you there. I just picked one up about 4 months ago and it just feels right. I'm running mine SS. I can't see paying thousands of dollars for a "boutique" bike when Carver already makes an awesome Ti bike for way less. Save your money and enjoy your Carver....Cheers.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top