Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
2011 have the rack mounts & 2012 doesn't not on the first run. Here is some other info from Carver Bikes.

What is the rear spacing on your Obeast Fat frames?
Our frames are built with 167.5 mm spacing. That way you can use either a 165 mm Hadley rear hub, or any of the 170 mm rear hubs like the Mukluk 2 or Mukluk 3.
Since they are symmetrical, you can also use your Obeast as a full 29er. The diameter of a 29" wheel and a Fat tire are almost identical. Two bikes for the price of one….well, almost.

You offer a 2011 and 2012 Obeast ti frame. What are the differences?
The 2011 Obeast ti frame has a 1 1/8 inch head tube, rack mounts, front derailleur post for an E-type front derailleur, and a non-replaceable derailleur hanger.
The 2012 Obeast ti frame has a 44 mm head tube that will accept either a 1 1/8 fork or a tapered steerer tube fork. Other improvements include a replaceable derailleur hanger and a disc brake brace. The 2012 Obeast ti frame does not include rack mounts.

You offer two Obeast forks. What are the differences?
Both of our titanium and carbon fiber OBeast forks are based on a 465 mm axle to crown dimension. The Carbon Obeast fork is set up for front disc offset hubs. With the addition of our 5 mm rotor spacer kit,it can be used with a rear spaced 135 mm front hubs, such as Surly, Salsa and others. The titanium-based forks can be used with a conventional star nut, but the carbon fiber abuse fork should only be used with an internally expanding top cap assembly.

More pictures and info here: snowbikes.wordpress.com

·
Oji
130 Posts
Rear hub question

2011 have the rack mounts & 2012 doesn't not on the first run. Here is some other info from Carver Bikes.
What is the rear spacing on your Obeast Fat frames?
Our frames are built with 167.5 mm spacing. That way you can use either a 165 mm Hadley rear hub, or any of the 170 mm rear hubs like the Mukluk 2 or Mukluk
I don't have any experience yet with the larger rear hubs. Does using a 170 mm hub in this frame simply require spreading the chain stays a bit to make it fit? Seems like a silly question now that I read the written words, but I'm naive of these things.

Seems like a good deal and there is word of a complete bike coming as well.

·
will rant for food
3,996 Posts
I don't have any experience yet with the larger rear hubs. Does using a 170 mm hub in this frame simply require spreading the chain stays a bit to make it fit? Seems like a silly question now that I read the written words, but I'm naive of these things.
Yup, that's the gist of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.