Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who or what are they?

I've seen the logo, I've seen articles of clothing emblazoned with the logo, I've visited the website and cannot for the life of me figure what on earth Cars-R-Coffins are.

Are they a clothing line? A bike shop? A subculture? A collective of superheroes? A bunch of assh0les? A mere figment of my imagination?

What?

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damnit. Should've known better than to expect a clear cut answer to a query on such a nebulous subject.

I'm off to drop some acid. Maybe I'll get some better answers that way.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I remember this being used by motorcyclists in the 60s. Probably a pretty accurate description of the cars then.

·
Registered
136 Posts
biking and punk rock? sounds like my sort of thing, too bad the kids these days have no idea what punk rock is. not that old myself, but there is a generation gap in that department all ready unfortunately, I even notice it in my own circle of friends, it is sad...very very sad. I am not going to elaborate on that however. relating to the topic, I don't know what the car thing is about but I am going to check it out for sure now.

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
?

~martini~ said:
A little bit of all of that. :)
I don't really "get" it either. What are they saying exactly? "Be a punker on a bicycle"? I see their stickers on Bianchi singlespeeds so maybe its a SS thing. They also have the "One F&%#ing Speed" stickers on the website. Real nice touch guys. And they have rad new brown hoodies. And "they" will be rockin' a Karate Monkey in Fruita soon.

I, for one, choose to vote with my dollar and stay far, far away from that tomfoolery.

HW

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh, so it's all like a secret club thing...? Like kids in middle school who thought they were cool and started their own 'club' thing to keep the uncool kids out?

Got it. Sorry I asked.

·
Bryn Mawr Borracho
191 Posts
Or like Corrosion of Conformity...

you could "Vote with a Bullet." And rent a car and drive all the way to Fruita, Colorado for the 10th Annual Fruita Fat Tire Festivus. Oh, and to answer the original query, "what is/are Cars-R-Coffins?" Well it's like this, see: It's simply a way of looking at the car-dominant culture we live in, and making an observation. It's not wanting to be strapped behind the wheel of some 2 ton behemoth, stuck in traffic, going nowhere fast, and groaning about the price of gas because I have to drive to work at my dead-end job in a gray carpeted cubicle, just so I can make the monthly payment on this sweet metallic gold mini-thunderbird-toyota-prius-hybrid-all-wheel-drive-suv-escalade-playa-hatin'-chrome-22's-up-on-this-bizatch hot car that I only drive to work. It's whatever you want it to be, this CRC thing, but hopefully it will make you think about how you spend your time in the daily flux of life. Driving everywhere, single-occupant cars clogging up city streets and highways, and people crying about the price of gas, and why don't we just drill ANWR already, Jeezus! it's my god-given right to get 22 gallons per mile and get those damn toy bicycles off the road already. I'm on my way to the trailhead, fukker! Got change for the meter? Drive! Drive some more! Do it! Gas prices are at an all time high! Car commercials always show the open road! Get some! Drop your kids off at the Limp Bizkit/Sum 41 show at the Mega-Plex! Feel SAFE in your big vehicle! Feel the wind in your hair as you drop the top in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Be a "cool" kid and start a "cool" club that the "uncool" kids aren't allowed in! Define everything! Post questions on MTBR! Pontificate on how "cool" your new Jones-bar 29er is, and everyone else just rides "kiddie wheels." Yeah. Oh, and another thing. What does FUH2 mean? Don't eat the brown acid. Hollywood Roxx Ya! Turn ZEKE up to 11 and GO!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hurl on cars...

Hurl said:
sweet metallic gold mini-thunderbird-toyota-prius-hybrid-all-wheel-drive-suv-escalade-playa-hatin'-chrome-22's-up-on-this-bizatch hot car that I only drive to work
Hehehehaehaehaehaheha

A quality post. Nice.

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers, Hurl. That's quite a manifesto. I will admit that I'm having a hard time trying to relate to parts of it. Maybe it's because I don't drive to work everyday. Maybe I'm not stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic every morning and evening. Maybe it's because I loathe big trucks and 4x4s but still love cars, and in turn, insane car racing like Formula 1 and touring cars. Maybe it's because I believe in 'everything in moderation', instead of an 'all or nothing' approach to just about everything I'm involved in.

Or maybe after reading that, I'm still completely missing the point. My interest in this sport of mountain biking is relatively new and I can't say I've spent a hell of a lot of time pondering the philosophical aspects of this newfound love. The whole "I ride therefore I am" sort of mentality is completely lost on me. In fact, I think that sort of outlook is kinda sad. But that's just me.

Clearly, I've tapped into some hint of a subculture here that I'm likely not going to get, probably not in a million years. Just like when I see the CHUNK 666 or Black Label Bike Clubs - I go 'heh', instead 'WOW!!"

Oh well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.