Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Carrying enough calories during long races/rides

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  yater 
#1 ·
I'm getting my act together for Ouachita Challenge in a few months. I'm a big fan of Hammer products and typically use Perpetuem (mixed as a paste in a flask) and Hammer Gel.

During last year's OC (Tour) I bonked hard on the climb up Blowout Mountain. Once I got some food in me I got back in the game, but I couldn't make up the time I lost. At a good pace I usually burn 800-1000 calories per hour. A flask of Perpetuem is 520 calories and a flask of Gel is 344. I plan on finishing the Tour in 8 hours. At most I could burn 8000 cals, or 15 flasks of Perpetuem, or 23 flasks of Gel!

Obviously theres no way (and maybe no need) to replace all the burned calories. I don't want to rely on the food stations simply because the cheap cookies and whatnot are exactly *not* what I need to eat mid ride. Other than a good breakfast and carrying some (but not 15 or 23) flasks, does anyone have some suggestions for mid-ride calories?

op

#2 ·
Your body can typically only process about 300 calories an hour. Anything more than that and you risk stomach distress....and then you'll be stopping for a break for other reasons! You should shoot for 2/3 of a flask plus a bottle or two of energy drink per hour. The best thing is to go a on a few rides over 4 hours....usually rides longer than this will require nutrition and that way you can figure out what works for you.

Whatever you do don't consume 23 flasks!

#4 ·
I'll see you at the OC. About the food, I like hammer gel, snickers, payday, pb&j, clif bars....just about anything. I'll eat whatever I can get my paws on. I'd rather not carry that much food over the 65 miles of the course though. Even a couple of gel flasks get heavy (have you noticed how dense that stuff is?)

#5 ·
Personal preference is everything, but here goes for what I like.......

I really like to have some "real" type food while I'm riding on long rides and I will generally take along PB & Honey on WH sandwiches=300-350 cal, Bananas and/or apples=120+/- cal, Dark Chocolate, 4 squares=200+ cal and some accelerade, fill in the rest with gels or bars.I usually take a sandwich for every hour or so I think I'll be out past 1 hour and then fruit to fill in.

Other stuff you could try and which I will be trying leading up to the LT100 are......potatoe chips, sliced chicken breast, bagels, CC cookies, Oatmeal cookies ( I used to love these last year on endurance rides and will try them again added to the PB sandwiches. Did an entire century with just 10 of these and water & accelerade)

As far as putting in to what's burnt I've heard it max 400 calories per hour, so shooting for 300-400 is prob a good goal.

#6 ·
Yeah, this event is pretty demanding. It' kind of a hidden gem....for now anyway. I did the event last year (recap here), and am planning on returning this year. Caloric intake will help you either have a good day....or a really bad day on the bike. Last year I was able to finish well overall using the following nutrition for the entire event (see below). Keep in mind, there are a few aid stations every 10-15 miles. Also, not everyone nutrition plan is the same. I suggest doing some trial runs at home before the big day.

WHAT I CARRIED FOR NUTRITION

1 24oz bottle on the frame with water at 5 scoops of Perpetuem
1 70 oz hydration pack filled with water and ELETE.
1 Clif Bar
1 flask of Hammer Gel

Good Luck, and see ya down there!

#7 ·
At the risk of understating the obvious, another thing I know that I have to take into consideration when reading posts like this is not only what and how much people are eating/drinking during a specific event, but also the fact that someone like Jeff would likely finish the race in a much shorter time than myself. So even if our digestive systems enjoy the same foods and liquids, I would have to carry more simply because I'll be out there longer.

#9 ·
yater said:
....but remember that there are feed stations along the route. You don't have to carry all your food unless you're a picky eater or something.
From my previous experience at OC, I wouldn't rely on the feed stations for more than water. The food available will most likely be cookies and "breakfast bars" of various types along with some oranges and bananas. The cookies and bars are so loaded with cheap sugars that they sit like a rock in my gut. The oranges and bananas are ok, but don't provide the calories I need (see my post earlier about bonking on Blowout Mtn).

...I guess I am a picky eater :D

op

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.