Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slightly off topic (still bike related), but does anybody road bike up around Carrabassett? I'll be there for a week at the beginning of July. I will be bringing my mtb (I've ridden the trails here before), but was wondering if I should bring the road bike too?

If yes, any places that I should check out? I know 27 is the main road in and out of the area, and the whole north side of Flagstaff is dirt (I go camping and canoeing there). Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lots of gravel riding. Lots of non-extreme MTB riding. Road riding has few pavement options and Rt 27 is a big dangerous truck route (log trucks and supply trucks) which is your only access option to get out to other paved roads. Everyone I know who spends a lot of time up there is mainly on their mountain bike or gravel bike, but not really road riding.

·
Gigantic Hawk
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of gravel riding. Lots of non-extreme MTB riding. Road riding has few pavement options and Rt 27 is a big dangerous truck route (log trucks and supply trucks) which is your only access option to get out to other paved roads. Everyone I know who spends a lot of time up there is mainly on their mountain bike or gravel bike, but not really road riding.
Thanks for the input. I've been there plenty on my mtb. Hell, I was at Long Falls Dam yesterday doing some trail cleanup. I just never see anybody road biking so that is why I asked. 27 does seem like a bit of a death trap, but i live in Portland so I'm used to crazy traffic stuff. I am tempted to bring my road bike along to ride up 27 to the Canadian border for a round trip century. Still undecided on that one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've ridden 27 and other roads near it in the Belgrade Lakes region but not up in CV. The shoulder from Augusta to Rt 2 intersection in New Sharon is plenty wide but drivers still haul ass along that route. Almost got squashed by a dump truck on Rt 8 last year while doing a circumnavigation of Great Pond. Gonna stick with dirt roads and single track on the gravel and mountain bikes from now on.

·
beer thief
4,914 Posts
There's actually quite a bit of good road riding if you get away from Rt 27. Rt 142 west of Kingfield has some good loop options on new pavement via Baker Hill Road and Rt 145, etc. Once you get off the main drag there are lots of quiet roads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts