Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Zippy, the wonder bike
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just discouvered that I have fairly bad Carpal Tunnel from work, I have shooting pains up and down my arms and hands. I wanted to know if there are any mountain bikers out there with CTS, should I be selling my bikes or what?

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Hmmmm... Are you sure it's not Thoracic Outlet Syndrom? Similar issues, but different causes. The fact that you say you have pain up and down your arms makes me suspect that it starts higher up than in the wrists.

That said, there is a lot you can do for both. Find a good physical therapist and massage therapist, they can help you out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I showed my wife your post; she is a certified hand therapist. She also says that this does not sound like Carpal Tunnel but agrees that it presents more like Thoracic Outlet Sydrome or Lateral Epicondylitis. You should make an appointment with a hand therapist in your area.

- Chip

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
There are lots of riders with CTS

I was diagnosed with CTS about 2 years ago. The doctor recomended selling the bikes but I didn't agreed and what we decided to do was to ride a softer bike.

I got a FS, put tubeless tires and a carbon bar trying to "soften" the ride. I still ride tubeless but ride mainly my HT singlespeed now. IMO the type of bike isn't a problem, the problem is that all the vibration been absorbed by you body will make your wrists and arms hurt a lot more and that's were a good fork, tubeless wheels come into play.

Another thing that will help will be to change your body position so you can take some weight/pressure off your arms. A riser bar or a stem with a little more angle will make a huge difference. Also try foam grips or wear 2 sets of gloves, putting less pressure while grabbing the bar will also help.

Don't sell your bike, just make it a bit more easy on you.

·
Zippy, the wonder bike
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies you guys. I actually do have CTS, I went for a nerve scan about a year ago, and at that time it wasn't too bad, now thanks to my job, (repetative motion with heavy parts) it has progress to the point where I acutally can not ride my bike, I wear gloves with alot of padding and I have big cushy grips, but within 5 minutes I have shooting pains in my arms and wrist and my hands go completely numb, which really sucks, especially when you are racing. I may sell a few of my bikes and buy a recumbent, depends on what the doctor says on monday. I will still keep my 29ner because I just bought my girlfriend a nice MTB and I still want to go on a few rides with her. Thanks for listening guys....

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Before lettin your bikes go keep twiching your posture and if possible set your fork as buttery as possible, that's what keeps me riding.

That happend to me when I gave road biking a shot and had to let go, the posture put so much strees on my arms and wrists that couldn't handle it. I can certainly feel your pain but so far so good for me.

If you want more details about my bike's setup shoot me a PM.

·
cut like the fog.
358 Posts
sounds exactly like CTS

FLYBYU said:
I've just discouvered that I have fairly bad Carpal Tunnel from work, I have shooting pains up and down my arms and hands. I wanted to know if there are any mountain bikers out there with CTS, should I be selling my bikes or what?
Keeping in mind that most often carpal tunnel syndrome occurs not at the carpal tunnel (wrist) but somewhere else in the arm. Active Release Technique (ART) has had great success with it.

http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp

b.

·
mtbr Decade+
1,545 Posts
Don't sell your bikes!!

I built seats for Johnson Controls, 9.5 hrs/day of pinching, pulling and squeezing, for three years. I couldn't feel my fingers sometimes! I would drop coffee cups, hands couldn't feel the steering wheel, etc. They had a massage therapist rub my wrists weekly. Geez thanks. One of my only regrets in life is that I let that sweatshop destroy my wrists for $$$. If I had my time back every time I was sore I would have taken time off on disablity. They preyed on young macho men, many of whom were immigrants(and wouldn't voice their concerns(pain) ), breeding an environment filled with peer pressure to work hurt.

If its your job get rid of the job not your passion! Especially if its not a high paying job.
MTBiking is 1% of your wrist trauma - treat the main source.

Johnson Controls would blame guys Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on guitar playing, piano playing, hockey playing. Screw sweatshops my friend.

Here are the lyrics to a song called, Process Man by Great Big Sea(from my home town), don't let this be you...

And its go boys go
They'll time your every breath
And every day in this place your two days near to death
But you go

Well a process man am I and I'm tellin' you no lie
I work and breathe among the fumes that tread across the sky
There's thunder all around me and there's poison in the air
There's a lousy smell that smacks of hell and dust all in me hair

[Chorus]

Well I've worked among the spitters and I breathe the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep in cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

[Chorus]

There's overtime and bonus opportunities galore
The young men like their money and they all come back for more
But soon your knocking on and you look older than you should
For every bob made on the job, you pay with flesh and blood

[Chorus]

Well a process man am I and I'm telling you no lie
I work and breathe among the fumes that tread across the sky
There's thunder all around me and there's poison in the air
There's a lousy smell that smacks of hell and dust all in me hair

·
Registered
112 Posts
Carpal tunnel syndrome and MTBing

If you truly have carpal tunnel syndrome(numbness and tingling in the larger fingers of the hand, with aching and tingling into the forearm and arm, typically worsens at night and with repetitive gripping and use of the hand) that does not include a lot of wrist tenderness, forearm flexor tendon tenderness, pain and tenderness around the elbow, and there are no neurologic symptoms radiating down the arm from the neck, and your nerve conduction studies support the diagnosis, and other possible underlying problems such as connective tissue disorders, diabetes, and rheumatologic problems have been ruled out, and the major repetitive stresses that contributed significantly to getting it in the first place can be avoided, then a surgical treatment is a reasonable option and would not preclude returning to MTBing. Successful carpal tunnel release surgery depends on making sure that it is truly the problem (some folks have carpal tunnel release surgery that doesn't work, because that wasn't the major problem), and giving the wrist the appropriate amount of time to heal-6 to 12 weeks before vigorous use of the wrist. The surgery enlarges the carpal tunnel, taking pressure off the median nerve, by cutting the transverse carpal ligament, which roughly runs across the base of the wrist and heel of the palm, just below the wrist creases. This ligament needs time to heal, and if you disrupt the healing by using the wrist too vigorously, you can wind up with a chronically painful and weak wrist, or induce so much inflammation that robust scar formation recompresses the nerve, and requires further surgery.

·
Zippy, the wonder bike
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm wondering about surgury. If you still do the same things that you were doing before CTS then wouldn't it return. It's probably started before I began working at my current job. Quitting my job is definatly not an option right now, but I'm planning on going back to school in the fall, so I will quit then. Problem is, I have a bad skin allergy to metal plating and leather, so at work I can't weld or assembly anything, or work in the warehouse. So I'm stuck in metal fab, running a punch press all day, constantly moving your hands in the same way all day by moving parts in and out of the press is what is killing them, also setting up punches and dies is hard on them because I'm constantly turning little allen wrenches to take screws out of the punch/die units. I love mountain biking and road riding, but I've had to sell the road bike, because I couldn't ride it farther then 10 miles without being in large amounts of pain. Now it is getting to the point where the mountain bike is the same way. Two Sunday's ago I took my mountain bike out on a road ride with my club, it was a 3 hour ride with roadies and I had to cut out of it after an hour because I couldn't stand the pain in my wrist any more and my hands were going numb. I have an air shock and it's set up really soft, I got riser bars to take some weight off the hands and I put on cushy grips too, I always ride with my padded gloves on as well and nothing helps. It's just since last summer that it's gotten this bad. Last summer I raced a solo 24hour race and didn't feel any pain or numbness (except in my butt and legs :) ) but now I can't even go for 1/2 hour with out pain and by the time I've ridden an hour it is too bad to continue. I've ridding recumbents before and they are definatly not hard on the hands, I would get a tadpole trike if I went that route anyway. But like I said I would love to race and ride with my girlfriend still. By the way, I'm only 24 years old so this is a pretty big downer for me, I expected to be at least my parent's age before I started getting crippled up and useless, but what can you do I guess. Thanks for listening guys.......

·
Registered
112 Posts
Usefullness of carpal tunnel release surgery

You are right, you need to avoid the intitiating cause as much as possible or you can bet carpal tunnel syndrome back. Carpal tunnel release surgery doesn't make you twenty years old again! :D Sounds like you are planning a career move, and that is a necessary part of care for the CTS. Don't know where you live, but in my state a reasonable case for the CTS being primarily (>50%) caused by you work activities could be made. The Workers Comp benefits here would include retraining for a less stressful-on-the-hands job. The insurance companies always try to fight it, but a 24 year old with CTS usually doesn't have other major causes. You have to have a physician who is willing to help you work through the legal nonsense, and an attorney. The law is different from state to state, so you will likely need an attorney to help you sort it out. Most times the insurance companies try to drag it out forever, and hope you'll go away. Don't take it personally, as they say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.