Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things change but as of 11 am 12/23 when I called the ranger station out there they told me the park will not be open to anyone, no camping, hiking or mountain biking.

That's a bummer, I was hoping to see the State Park get some use while the OHV issue gets worked out.

Is there a MTB legal group that could ask the judge to issue an order to allow the park to stay open for non OHV use?

I've been in touch with Don Amador, http://thegeneralsrecreationden.blogspot.com/ to say he's not optimistic about it reopening soon would be a true statement. If it stays closed to OHV use for months, maybe well into next year, why not allow some access for other users?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
BigRick,

Just an armchair opinion here, but my best guess from being on the edge of some environmental issues is that the best hope would be the property could be opened to some hiking in the short term; getting it open to bikes or motos would not happen until spring and will require some plan for erosion control.

This isn't an exact parallel, but look at erosion control done these days around construction sites in rainy months and you'll get the idea. There will need to be a plan, and some positive action to implement it.

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
I hadn't understood the closure was due to environmental concerns. You'd never think anything of the sort would have ever crossed their minds after all the decades the place was being ripped to shreds by motos, which, btw, I would count myself amongst in the '70s.

When Team Wrong Way first put on the DH races ("Groovy Gravity Games" aka GGG), there were a plethora of DOs and DON'TS (mostly the latter) that came with our ability to put on the event. TWW did so for 5 years successfully, then passed the batton to others. Prior to the first event, we had to survey the area with a state biologist to see what was what and if the area was suitable. She was a hotty and very open to our plans, but with conditions.

At the time of TWW's involvement, we could "borrow" soil from an area, and use it to build berms close nearby, but were also required to replace said dirt to the borrow area from whence it came when the event was over. We were only allowed use of hand tools. We built and installed crappy wooden "jumps", as we were not allowed to build them from dirt. We also COULD NOT build even a short section of trail, or links between trails, to create the course - we could only use existing moto trails, however faint or rutted they were.

We could never understand why motos could rip the place up willy nilly, and yet we couldn't cut a section of trail. But that lead to some creative ways to have the eventual course go here or there; we'd visualize what we wanted a few weeks early, then dispatch team mates with motos to "create" a trail, which we would then exploit and tie into the course. Apparently this met with SP satisfaction.

Then the area was inspected after the event and given clearance, or not, once we'd restored the track area to its prior condition. A least once or twice someone had to come back a weekend or two to take care of a section or more that was not up to the restoration "standard", whatever that was.

Of course, in the 3 weeks we spent preparing the course, every subsequent visit required repairs to be made where the motos tore down our snow fencing erected around each constructed course feature in order to destroy our berms and lips and jumps. Some of them apparently felt offended having to share 1% of the available land mass within Carnegie. So every single year the course was vandalized week after week. Just par for the course.

I understand the use of mechanized equipment for subsequent years' course preparation finally got the attention of the (at that time) new ranger. Perhaps prior to that point the powers that be failed to recall/review the fine-print, these issues with environmental concerns stemming from the very first DH race some 6+ years earlier.

It's a pity to lose the park, especially since SP just acquired another (what?) 5-10,000 acres of land in 2003 or so. It was being prepared to be annexed to Carnegie, I understand. But now what?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Get ready there are more and more closures coming. Soon you will not be able to park your vehicle more than one vehicle length off the road and many of the roads you may have used to get to the trails are going to be closed to vehicular traffic.

These issues with the Forest Service and closures goes beyond OHV, it is going to affect everyone.

After talking to a watershed expert, who has been studying Carnegie for a few years, the reports will show more damaging run off from the access roads than from the hills.

THis closure is an absolute joke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.