Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there used or is using Carmichael Training systems? I am thinking about this for my wife for both x-country and downhill. For some reason she does not like to listen to her husband in regards to training!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
ianinco said:
Has anyone out there used or is using Carmichael Training systems? I am thinking about this for my wife for both x-country and downhill. For some reason she does not like to listen to her husband in regards to training!
I used CTS when I first start racing 5 years ago and would recommend them. I switched to another coach after a year, but it's a great place to start and it sounds like it may help your marriage:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used them for a year: 6 months with the entry level, software driven program and then 6 months with the entry level coaching program. I jumped into Sport class for my first season of mtn bike racing and got two 2nd place finishes. Got lean and quick in a very reasonable amount of time. Workouts were fun, too!
I would highly recommend them, but I may have to DIY it this year.

·
Registered
89 Posts
so what did you think of the entry level, software driven program? this will be my first year racing and i'm trying to self coach via friel, but i kinda want more structure/direction and i'm thinking that the software driven cts coaching is the most i can justify spending right now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
slip said:
so what did you think of the entry level, software driven program? this will be my first year racing and i'm trying to self coach via friel, but i kinda want more structure/direction and i'm thinking that the software driven cts coaching is the most i can justify spending right now.
Definately worth the $39 a month. I justified the cost of it as a "gym" membership in which I did'nt have the drive time and gas costs involved.
I made the biggest improvments with the software program. Granted, there was a lot to improve upon (a bit of weight loss, a lot of fitness to gain) since I was, and still am, new to the sport. The Friel stuff is valid, I just could'nt really make sense of the "Mtn. Bikers' Training Bible". Also, not knowing how to coach myself, well, it (the program) was better than training too hard or not enough. The downside to the software program: It's not set up for training someone with a multiple event season. You're essentially zeroing in on one race. That's why I started using the coach.
Try the entry level program. It gives you something structured, something to look forward to, and it's fun. Training data from your workouts is very easy to submit, and there are forums in which to ask questions should you have them. Coaches and athletes alike are happy to give info through these forums on various topics.
Hope that helps.
Jaxson

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, anyone used it for more than entry level. My wife races at expert level in norba and i race pro here in our local series in town and expert in norba

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, like I said, I also used a Carmichael coach for my race season last year. Look up Mike Durner. He was creative with the workouts and was easy to reach (and good with call-backs & emails) if you had questions or concerns about anything. I believe he lives right there in Colorado Springs.
I'd still like to use him again this season if I can.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes the programs work well. I used one some time ago that used phone calls and emails, and made a great improvement. Structured? Yes. I think you have to be if you are serious. I quit after I was turned off by billing problems with no solution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.