Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,373 Posts
No sympathy whatsoever for the hunters. Someone who misidentifies an animal should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. No excuses. I know many responsible hunters and they only take the shot when they are absolutely certain of what they are shooting at and whether they will kill it, which means they go on many hunting trips and never fire a shot or get an animal. This should be the standard and it should be heavily enforced. It's not the responsibility of everyone else to make up for a hunter's impatience or lack of ethics. The responsibility is solely on the person that brings a gun to the forest to kill things.

Reactions: letitsnow

·
Registered
277 Posts
No sympathy whatsoever for the hunters. Someone who misidentifies an animal should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. No excuses. I know many responsible hunters and they only take the shot when they are absolutely certain of what they are shooting at and whether they will kill it, which means they go on many hunting trips and never fire a shot or get an animal. This should be the standard and it should be heavily enforced. It's not the responsibility of everyone else to make up for a hunter's impatience or lack of ethics. The responsibility is solely on the person that brings a gun to the forest to kill things.
As a hunter, I fully agree.

Should be the same punishment and responsibility as an automobile driver that hits a bicylist.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who to blame or how much punishment a hunter receives, doesn't help you much when you're dead. Be careful where you ride. Stay out of areas where big game is being hunted.

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
I used to hunt and may well again. I cannot imagine shooting at something until I know EXACTLY what it is.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I caught up with a hunter last year at dusk coming out of a favorite trail, he said that he was glad he saw me go in as I looked alot like a deer at dusk. I had worn a red jacket that looked bright in the day but unfortunately looked brown after the sun went down, now I always wear hunter orange this time of year.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I recommend wearing blaze orange and running a light if you're biking anytime near dusk during hunting season. Dawn and dusk lighting is weird.....

·
Registered
390 Posts
As a hunter, I fully agree.

Should be the same punishment and responsibility as an automobile driver that hits a bicylist.
Hopefully it’s a lot worse punishment than that. Around me, You kill a cyclist with your car and you are most likely not even getting a ticket.

Two friends killed this year on bikes. Nothing happened to either driver.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
As a cyclist, hiker, outdoors person I know I would be a fool to enter the woods in anything but bright colors this time of year. Secondly, out of respect for hunters I avoid riding trails near dusk or dawn. While they may not shoot me I could screw up their hunt by scaring off animals. The riding season is much longer than hunting season, so I have no problem sharing the resource.

The other day I was in a non hunting area and spooked 2 deer. I followed them a few hundred yards down the trail. If I were in a hunting area I could see how a mistake could be made.

98% (or more) of hunters are very respectful of their weapons, but that does not mean that mistakes cannot be made. A misfired rifle shot does not care about your rights as a cyclist. YOU need to take precautions, I sure do.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,373 Posts
Hunting for something is usually going on year-round. They don't own the forests.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,304 Posts
You chose to take a weapon, into the woods.

You also chose to drive a 3000 lb weapon, down the road.

Both of these objects, sitting in place, are virtually incapable of damaging so much as a blade of grass.

In the hands of a human user, they both become deadly if used without proper respect, attention, and behavior.

That non gun toting, or non car wrapped humans get slaughtered, be they walking, biking, or simply sitting in their yard, and the human that did it is not charged because "it was an accident/mistake/trick of the light, whatever, is a crime.

I say this as a vehicle owner, and gun owner, haven't hunted in a while, but used to a fair bit.

If you can't use your choice of weapon with full and proper care, that's bad enough. But when you take the life of another, you aren't due some special privilege because you did so with a piece of equipment and no outright, direct, malicious intent.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hunting for something is usually going on year-round. They don't own the forests.
Neither do cyclists. If I ride in a place where it is likely hunting is going on, it is ultimately my decision of when to ride there and what to wear.

In Wisconsin the primary hunting season is deer hunting. Bow season is September through December. I avoid dawn and dusk rides on public hunting land out of respect for them.

Primary gun season lasts 9 days in late November. I stay out of the woods during that time except to ride to my deer stand on private land. I am head to toe orange.

Every year some 600,000 hunters take to the woods for gun season in Wisconsin. I cannot recall if a cyclist has ever been shot by a hunter in Wisconsin.

·
2,619 Posts
This is why I don't go in the woods during rifle season around here. Hunters can have at it all they want while I stick to my gravel bike.

Reading this made me do some research about hunting accidents my state (Vermont) - a state where hunting is hugely popular and access to guns is very easy. Hunting accidents here are nearly non existent (there were none reported in 2013). The state began wide spread (and free) hunting safety programs back in the 70s when hunting accidents were more frequent (20 or so per year). The high school I teach at even does a hunting safety class on some weekends.

I was shocked to see that France has 115 hunting accidents in the first 6 months of 2018. Seems like a lot for a country with tighter gun laws than America. I'd be curious to see what safety regulations France lacks that makes this more common. Comparing France to my little state is not equal but that many hunting accidents still seems high.

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
Most of the trails around here are preserves so no hunting anyway. The one place that has hunting is closed to bikers from October to April.
It's not one of my favorite trails anyway, so no loss really.

·
Banned
1,682 Posts
I biked an elk out of the woods on saturday. I do wear an orange vest. the hunter who shoots someone is to blame, but why not just have a litle high visibility stuff on to make your self easier to see. I love to hunt and love to bike, both can be done.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I ran across a hunter a couple years ago and told him I was sorry if I messed up his hunt and he replied "I don't own the forest, it's open to everyone".

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Two weeks ago was riding and after the ride a bow hunter showed up and gave me "the look", was apologetic and he said it was alright.

Was wearing a bright green helmet and jacket and after reading this think I'm wearing the wrong color, question, what are the appropriate colors to wear during hunting season?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Blaze orange is the only appropriate color for visibility during hunting season, IMO. Most hunters should have been trained to not shoot at this color.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hopefully it’s a lot worse punishment than that. Around me, You kill a cyclist with your car and you are most likely not even getting a ticket.

Two friends killed this year on bikes. Nothing happened to either driver.
I guess you made my point (no disrespect) Why should the fact it's a gun or car make any difference?

In both cases it's the person behind them responsible. Each is a device or tool that can't act on it's own.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts