Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all who have been riding after dark in the EBRPD, there have been a couple of occassions of the Park Police pulling over mountain bikers after leaving the trailhead. Last Thursday at Chabot, the EBRPD PD were waiting for people down at the bottom of the hill, and pulling over vehicles with bikes, and basically doing a sobriety check. All the vehicles pulled over, as I heard, were those that had bikes mounted on some external rack/back of truck bed. A few other vehicles left, that had bikes inside of them at the time, and were not stopped. Sounds like the PD has associated the "mountain-bikers-like-beer" thing to our nocturnal activities. I also understand that NoBalance was stopped while getting into his car after the BTCEB campout/BBQ last Friday night (though it was super-late and he was parked in the park boundaries after 10:00) I don't believe any problems came from that...

So - be careful out there folks, and if you are planning on partying post-ride - going somewhere else to do it might be a prudent thing to do if this is the strategy that the PD will have with bikers.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
I found it very odd that there were THREE cop cars driving towards the campsite on Friday night. One of them passed me as I was on the road going back to the car, and the other two pulled up later when I was at the car.

I suspect perhaps there may have been some reports or complaints by either campers or the kiosk person, but of what type I don't know. Otherwise I would consider it a good thing to have cops patrolling the area ... I know I'd probably feel better about it if I were camping. Thats the thing about having the campsite so close to huge cities ... its easy for the security to break down if there's no patrolling the area.

On the other hand, pulling over people because they have bikes is technically illegal and discriminatory, just like race profiling.

·
Pale-ale-ontologist
130 Posts
Not hating on EBRPD PD but...

NoBalance said:
On the other hand, pulling over people because they have bikes is technically illegal and discriminatory, just like race profiling.
Don't put it past EBRPD PD to "overlook" your fourth ammendment rights just to make a bust. Should it happen to you, be sure to ask them why you're being pulled over or detained. They tried it to me.

The same scenario is happening at Briones at our weekly ride.

Just a thought... Could this be an attempt to wholly discredit Mt Bikers as a means to help pass measure AA?

·
gimme friction
1,135 Posts
J_T said:
Don't put it past EBRPD PD to "overlook" your fourth ammendment rights just to make a bust. Should it happen to you, be sure to ask them why you're being pulled over or detained. They tried it to me.

Just a thought... Could this be an attempt to wholly discredit Mt Bikers as a means to help pass measure AA?
JT, are they sweatin' you on Wednesday nights? I thought you guys had some sort of understanding with the kops...

·
Paper or plastic?
10,624 Posts
J_T said:

I think that it is the opposite. If the PD harasses (emphasis on if) MTBers, I just don't see how that will help pass the bond measure. At the end of the day, the district will need 2/3 of the votes, and that by definition would include a lot of bikers. So in November, remember how the district is treating you when you vote.

·
Registered
855 Posts
huh. recently, some friends ended up in JMP after dark (after getting lost and fixing a mechanical while helping an old lady across the street, so totally by accident) and ran into the O Po at the bottom of Bishop's Walk. More than once. Recently.

what's going on?

·
Pale-ale-ontologist
130 Posts
Quercus agrifolia said:
JT, are they sweatin' you on Wednesday nights? I thought you guys had some sort of understanding with the kops...
We did but they seem to be inflexible this year. It's all by the book now.
They show up before dark, waiting untill they can enforce the curfew. Then we have to pass their the gauntlet on our way out. Sometimes two patrol cars. One at the parking lot and one at the gate. They love to spotlight drivers as they leave too.

I suppose the real perps, car break-in types etc. Are whom they are after but it seems a little more directed towards legit park users too.

zorg - I like your take on this.

·
Registered
323 Posts
sanjuro said:
Easy solution: ride to your rides. I rode from Orinda to Downtown Oakland last night.
you can still get a DUI on a bicycle and they will revoke your drivers licence for a year the same as if you got a DUI in a vehicle

·
Pale-ale-ontologist
130 Posts
chris_nor_cal said:
you can still get a DUI on a bicycle and they will revoke your drivers licence for a year the same as if you got a DUI in a vehicle
Yeah. What he said. And How can I fit my cooler full of beer onto my bike?:D

·
Paper or plastic?
10,624 Posts
NoBalance said:
Funny how all BTCEB and EBRPD posts always have a couple guests lurking. Just saying ...
That's not a conspiracy, but a pretty sure thing that some people at the EBRPD once in a while check on this forum to see what's going on. Now, I got no clue as to who does it and when.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
When I was late teens and drove a red sports car I was pulled over all the time. The two best excuses I recieved were "Looks like you might be lost; license and registration please." and "Just wanted to make sure you are okay, it looked to me like your brakes were hot. Now step out of the car and walk that white line." :rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.