Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
King of vegetarians
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Iv joked a few time on carbon fiber threads that people can ride cardboard bikes for all I care as long as they don`t kid themselves about the safety blahbalhblah.Well I nearly $hit myself when I saw that Ferrari is now using cardboard in their hybrid car http://green.yahoo.com/index.php?q=node/645 .I can just imagine cardboard becoming the new carbon fiber now,I`m sure that the bicycle industry would love it with the kind of profit margins involved and its "remarkable strength to weight ration".
I guess I gotta think of a new ridiculous metaphor,any suggestions?

·
WTF
292 Posts
I'm sure it is not used in any stressful applications. I am a bit of a mechanic/gearhead myself and have worked on many cars and even restored a '72 chevelle. Cars with as much power as a Ferrari (greater than 400 hp, especially v8's with shi#loads of torque) undergo a lot of stress. Anything like steel, aluminum, and carbon is great for use in high stress areas (frame, ect) but cardboard is probably just put to use in everything possible to cut weight and expense, such as in seats, dashboard, storage area, and possibly floorboards. I suspect the body is plastic or carbon, but perhaps they managed to use carboard (high density of course) in the body. They would used some type of hard sealant (epoxy) and smooth it over to paint over it. Cardboard could never be used in bikes because it has no tensile strengh, or durabity from impacts. Carbon, however, will be used more and more, since it is 5x stronger than steel, and god knows have much stronger than aluminum. Sadly, carbon is no very impact resistance. Putting cardboard in cars sounds rediculous, but today cars are made to be disposable anyway, so why not make them recyclable too?

·
Registered
221 Posts
i wouldnt trust it thats like those pontiac sunfires you hit somthing with ur front end and the engine is right in ur lap you can tune the carb....

·
Registered
249 Posts
GM started using balsa wood for floor boards in the Corvette in '97. The balsa wood was sandwhiched between two layers of steel that were significantly thinner than previous steel only floorboards increasing rigidity and saving weight. Due to suspension design and lack of bodyroll or flex the balsa wood floors turned out pretty good. They since transfered the "technology?" to more mainstream cars like the Impala. As suspension and frame technologies inprove its not suprising to see cheaper and lighter weight materials in place that may have once forbidden thier use. It wasnt that long ago that people thought they would be tossing thier aluminum bikes in the recycler with thier pop cans after a year of use.

·
King of vegetarians
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BlurredVision said:
GM started using balsa wood for floor boards in the Corvette in '97. The balsa wood was sandwhiched between two layers of steel that were significantly thinner than previous steel only floorboards increasing rigidity and saving weight. Due to suspension design and lack of bodyroll or flex the balsa wood floors turned out pretty good. They since transfered the "technology?" to more mainstream cars like the Impala. As suspension and frame technologies inprove its not suprising to see cheaper and lighter weight materials in place that may have once forbidden thier use. It wasnt that long ago that people thought they would be tossing thier aluminum bikes in the recycler with thier pop cans after a year of use.
Are you in sales?

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,981 Posts
yoginasser said:
Are you in sales?
No, but I'd bet he slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts