Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing some new wheels for my Fuel EX. I went with I9 Grades in the past, and liked them, but have an opportunity of getting a sweet deal on Bontrager Line Pro / Kovee Pro wheels. These are carbon wheels with no weight limit. I'm 270-275, and not a really aggressive rider. Do you think carbon wheels would hold up?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Built up some carbon nexties with asymmetrical rim.

32 spokes, brass nipples, dt 350 hubs. 1700g and rated for 160kg or 350lbs.

Im 250 and have road them almost 3 years now. All spokes are tight, run straight. I dont to jumps and drops but i slam the hell out of them in rock gardens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
This place needs an enema
17,087 Posts
Needing some new wheels for my Fuel EX. I went with I9 Grades in the past, and liked them, but have an opportunity of getting a sweet deal on Bontrager Line Pro / Kovee Pro wheels. These are carbon wheels with no weight limit. I'm 270-275, and not a really aggressive rider. Do you think carbon wheels would hold up?
Are you buying them new? From a dealer?

If not, I'd pass.

If so, I'd have a very direct conversation with them -- with an owner or manager, preferably -- about expectations, warranty, etc... before proceeding.

·
CEO Product Failure
2,130 Posts
I'm ordering a set of SC Reserves. The SC factory guys came through in June. I test rode, I spoke with them, I weight ~250-260. SC had ZERO issues in recommending their wheels to me. My only concern are the hubs. The only hubset which has worked flawless for me are Kings with a steel (tandem) freehub body and DH through axle.

However, the DT350 hubs are promising. I have been using the DT350 on my Fatboy for 2 years and only blown it apart once.

Guys-if you know of issues with carbon rims, don't beat around the bush. Please be direct. What questions should we ask the manufacturers? Just having a direct conversation is not going to get a factory rep to spill the beans.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
ask the manufacturers if they xray or ultrasound every rim, checking for defects/voids

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.