1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
paper-weights...

MarcoL said:
Has anyone seen or tested those:

http://www.gigantex.com.tw/Products.htm

they look like DT Swiss, Im not sure; maybe nino could answer...
what asian companies are good at is to copy things and to write on paper;)
just don't believe a weight written on asian paper!

if you have the chance to visit all those asian booths at Eurobike in September with a scale you will realize that 98% of all written weights are non true and some by a looooong shot.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yeah. but....

MarcoL said:
Has anyone seen or tested those:

http://www.gigantex.com.tw/Products.htm

they look like DT Swiss, Im not sure; maybe nino could answer...
how will those hold up to mountain conditions? I'm not so concerned with outright breakage, but with spoke tension. Hitting rocks gardens and dips at speed puts a lot of stress on a wheel.

I remember those ACS BMX fiberglass rims in the 80s. They were great until all that flex made the spokes loosen up and eventually fail. The rims themselves were always straight, but the spokes got super wonky really fast.

Then again, I was doing BMX flatland freestyle at that point, and anything but Tuff Wheels went taco pretty fast.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
SuperG said:
Gigantex probably makes 1/2 the rims you see on carbon deep dish road wheels today. They have a good reputation.
Gigantex rims are good. Nothing wrong with them. They do a lof the carbon road wheels. Blackwell Research deep dish carbon road wheels are made by Gigantex. Token C50, T50 are also Gigantex.

I have no idea if you can order directly from Gigantex. The closest I came was ordering Token C50 full carbon rims from Token directly. They would sell no problems. I eventually went with Reynolds carbon rims for my road bike when they started to sell their carbon rims to authorized USA wheel builders.

The weight for Gigantex rims should be pretty close to as claimed, at least for road wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.