Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Specialized Epic hardtail comp, and I was thinking about getting carbon wheels for it. My question is, how Durable are carbon wheels compared to aluminum and how much of a difference would I notice in weight? I ride my hardtail pretty aggressively and sometimes hit my rear rim on rocks etc. These are the wheels I was thinking of getting: https://www.tuffcycle.com/mountain-bike/928ng.html

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
I don't know about that brand,

and the weight seems wicked light
----------------------------------------------------------
I'd argue i9 is one of the best if not the best carbon system out there, and for a 29'er the weight for a pair 28mm external is 1380g....

for carbon hoops I have

a pair Easton havens and a pair of i9 enduro's and I'd say the i9's are the shiznat.

i9 is pricy but dem wheelsets they shove out the door are good

my recommendo is >>> i9 ULTRALITE 240C 24H (2400 bucks)

lifetime warranty and yes you'll be plenty fast on them

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about that brand,

and the weight seems wicked light
----------------------------------------------------------
I'd argue i9 is one of the best if not the best carbon system out there, and for a 29'er the weight for a pair 28mm external is 1380g....

for carbon hoops I have

a pair Easton havens and a pair of i9 enduro's and I'd say the i9's are the shiznat.

i9 is pricy but dem wheelsets they shove out the door are good

my recommendo is >>> i9 ULTRALITE 240C 24H (2400 bucks)

Thanks for the recommendation, they sound great, but $2,400 is too steep for me.

lifetime warranty and yes you'll be plenty fast on them
Thanks for the recommendation, they sound great, but $2,400 is too steep for me.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
I got a new Stan's Valor 29 front wheel non-boost. $400, no extra charge/fee? Leaves you to find a rear, which generally depends on your rear hub preference. Comes with bag with spare spokes, data sheet showing tension and run-out (trueness, roundness), axle caps between 9QR and 15mm, and I think a QR skewer.

Stan's was making their carbon rims more impact resistant and compliant before it became the industry trend. Their only fault was that they were expensive.

Stan's does a ton of testing:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Did you ever find wheels? I have a 2019 epic HT found a pair of kovee 30 carbon take offs at a local shop for 700 and got those. They are great on the epic.

T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.