Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thinking about getting a we are one DH rim for my dh but budget is tight so I was wondering if I could get away with riding the carbon on the back only and keeping the alloy rim up front. Would that mismatch cause a weird feeling on the trail ? Never ridden carbon rims before..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, the point is to avoid constantly breaking rims in the back and use the lifetime warranty of we are one. I never break front rims, it's always the back one so maybe the carbon would stand up to the abuse. I do get your idea though

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
I agree the rear rim takes the most abuse.

No problems running one carbon and one aluminum.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,799 Posts
At first, I laughed at this question. Then I remembered thinking that I had to have matching rims back when I taco'd my first wheel in the early 90's... There should be no "weird feeling" due to the mismatch.

Now, as someone who has been building and riding wheels of all types for decades, I'd go with carbon in the rear and aluminum up front, but I wouldn't stress. The true advantage I've seen for carbon rims is durability with a potentially slight and nearly imperceptible improvement in rotational weight.

I have destroyed one carbon rim and it was due to running with my bike for the last mile of a race with the tire off the rim and the wheel stuck (no rotation at all). I don't think anything will stand up to that level of stupidity.

Oh yeah, I notice no ride quality difference between a well built aluminum or well built carbon wheelset. Maybe I'm just insensitive, but I think those kind of differences are more marketing hype than anything...

·
Boom bap ambassador
995 Posts
I don't think it will cause any issues for feel.

Carbon feels a bit different than aluminum but I think aluminum front and carbon rear would be like other items on a bike where after a few minutes it just feels like it feels and you won't notice it otherwise.

The logic is sound though as far as a rear carbon rim.

I don't break rims (knock on wood) but I have dented a couple aluminum rims (Spank, WTB, DT) but no issues with carbon rims and I think, or like to think, I'm faster now than I was when I was flat spotting aluminum rear rims.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.