Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a SS specific question, but that's what I ride. Plus I don't sit as much on my SS hardtail as I would any other bike.

I'm looking at upgrading my seatpost. I've found a sweet deal on a Ti seatpost, but don't know much about them. Any advantages over carbon? Any ride quality improvements of one over another?

Also, I noticed there are several Aluminum grades used in seatposts, what are the advantages of one over another (flex, strength)?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Don't know about a comparison, but I had a litespeed ti seatpost on a hardtail that had enough flex in it to really take the edge off the bumps. It was almost like having a soft-tail. I have an aluminum one on my rigid SS now, and I am debating switching to a ti one, both for weight and comfort.

I am curious to the comparison between ti and carbon though. Maybe I'll go carbon instead since I have a carbon bar and fork.

·
Registered
122 Posts
On my previous FS bikes, I went with carbon fiber for the weight factor. When I went back to HT, I sprung for ti post for extra comfort. Carbon posts are just too stiff.

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,170 Posts
I have run Ti post ssince 1997 and never had on break while riding off road.
I have seen a lot of broken carbon seat posts that broke while being rode off road. The major situation is that your femoral artery is very susceptible to being punctured by the shattered carbon.
I have seen a few Thomson posts fractured in half while being used off road.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,276 Posts
Had a ti post on my Vulture for a while ... until it took a permanent set. But until it bent, it was the most comfortable seatpost I ever used. In fact I would call it amazing.

--Sparty

·
drinker
98 Posts
while i'm just using aluminum, i have to ask, would lowering tire/tyre pressure 3psi not be about the same as the effects of a seatpost? while also probably increasing grip?

of course you sacrifice efficiency and increase pinch flat potential, but it is cheaper, and probably more noticeable

i've had bad experiences with carbon bars, and as such, wouldn't trust it in a place like a seatpost.......the chances of gouging, or scratching or deforming with the clamp just doesn't make it worth going to in my eyes.........

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,276 Posts
sime said:
while i'm just using aluminum, i have to ask, would lowering tire/tyre pressure 3psi not be about the same as the effects of a seatpost? while also probably increasing grip?

of course you sacrifice efficiency and increase pinch flat potential, but it is cheaper, and probably more noticeable
Lowering tire pressure is a good idea regardless, IMO. The problem comes when one has lowered their tire pressure as much as they dare (and still avoid frequent pinch flats). Like me, for instance. I weigh 195#... my tires are already as soft as I dare make them... the ti post then picks up where soft-as-possible tires leave off.

Agree with you about carbon seatpost &/or bars... never used them... don't ever plan to.

--Sparty

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I love love love my Eriksen Ti seatpost. I was surprised how effective it was at taking the edge off my hardtail. Keep in mind you need a decent amount of seatpost exposed to take advantage of it. I think it was worth the cost. I would definitely buy another one.

Disclaimer: I have never used a carbon seatpost. I'm hard on my equipment and a carbon enema scares me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
ianick said:
I love love love my Eriksen Ti seatpost. I was surprised how effective it was at taking the edge off my hardtail. Keep in mind you need a decent amount of seatpost exposed to take advantage of it. I think it was worth the cost. I would definitely buy another one.
Yes...Sweetposts are so worth it!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have lynskey's ti seatpost, and I've really noticed the difference over a Thompson. I've not done a comparison to carbon, but I'll never buy another Al seatpost. The Ti really takes the edge off, compared to Al.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.