Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input on carbon vs ti seatposts. Stole a carbon post from another bike to get my Kona Rove LTD together, looking to return that post to the original bike, and fit the Kona with something 0 offset. Would love to hear some input form riders that have had both. Thanks.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Looking for some input on carbon vs ti seatposts. Stole a carbon post from another bike to get my Kona Rove LTD together, looking to return that post to the original bike, and fit the Kona with something 0 offset. Would love to hear some input form riders that have had both. Thanks.
I haven't compared them back to back, but my gut feel is that unless the CF post was designed specifically to be "compliant" the Ti post wins in an apples/apples comparison... by a nose. Much more of a factor is seatpost setback and design. I had to go from a 20mm setback to a 0 setback post on my Warbird to get position where I wanted it and the difference in compliance is noticeable...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't compared them back to back, but my gut feel is that unless the CF post was designed specifically to be "compliant" the Ti post wins in an apples/apples comparison... by a nose. Much more of a factor is seatpost setback and design. I had to go from a 20mm setback to a 0 setback post on my Warbird to get position where I wanted it and the difference in compliance is noticeable...
What post are you running on the Warbird?

·
Registered
985 Posts
What post are you running on the Warbird?
FSA SL-K. It was rated as the most comfortable of the mainstream posts at the time... but that was the SB20. The other major factor in seatpost "comfort" is extension. There is an enormous difference between a seatpost sticking 2" out of the frame and 12". Obviously, this is going to be apples/apples on the same frame, but can be a factor when choosing between two framesets.

There are newer gravel-specific CF seatposts that purport to be more compliant than the SL-K, but be prepared to shell out some $. From what I've seen, Canyon leads the way here.

·
Human Test Subject
1,481 Posts
I can tell the difference between aluminum and carbon or Ti, but cheap carbon and Ti are pretty similar. A specifically made compliant carbon will beat Ti. Ti is still comfy and I have two.

Since you're looking for 0 offset, definitely do your research. 0 offset is gonna be less compliant than setbacks. Maybe Niner RDO or Syntace still make them, I dunno.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Depending on seatpost size, you might be able to find a nice used syncros titanium post on ebay. They come up pretty often, plus side is you'll be able to sell it for about what you bought it for.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Been riding Ti posts almost exclusively for 30 years. Just pulled off an eriksen setback for a Syntase P6 HiFlex. Bike is significantly more comfortable. Only problem is I couldn’t run a flight as there wasn’t enough adjustment with the round rails. Had to grab a carbon railed saddle to get the tilt I wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
My bike had a setback Moots and I wanted no setback. Not wanting to spend the money I replaced it with carbon composite. Figuring that out was trying it with an AL no setback cheap OEM post. I could not really tell a feel or ride difference - only fit. Maybe it would be different on a different frame because the Routt 45 is just inherently amazing and 40 mm supple tires are comfy.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,852 Posts
Syntace P6 or Niner RDO - same post.
I always get annoyed with my RDO because it doesn't feel like it's doing what it's meant to, but then after trying a different post, you realise it really works.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
If you use a seat with carbon rails, I would also look at the clamp on the post, my opinion is that a wider 'spread out' clamping surface (like on the FSA K Force) is going to be easier on carbon rails than a clamp with 2 small contact points. I've had ti seatposts, but I really can't tell much of a difference over carbon. I do have a 'cushier' seat on my CX bike (an older specialized body geometry of some variety), the courses are typically very rough. The ti posts often look to have the clamp engineered awkwardly, and I would avoid 'single bolt' clamps, every single-bolt clamp I've had has moved while riding (other than my old S-works on my cx bike, that one has stayed-put so far, 10 race seasons...). The ti posts I've had were Ballistic brand, iirc, pretty, but hard to get to stay put.
I've also used the cheaper carbon ebay posts from both BXT and Tideace, both have been trouble free. The zero setback Tideace ($20 ish on ebay) seems to have a nice little clamp, I just got one of those for a road bike to go with a carbon rail saddle, but I've only put about 20 miles on that one, worth trying out and keeping around as a spare in my opinion.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after doing some reading, I actually ending up going with that was one of the cheaper options, a Salsa Guide carbon, 0 setback. Since a lot of the benefit of the more expensive options seems to be most noticeable in the setback options, I figured I might as well try my luck with whatever I can get moment. I'm also going to be running a Brooks C13 carbon so I figure that will also make the ride a bit nicer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.