Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just purchased a 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper S-works with a full carbon frame. After my purchased I began to read how carbon is not safe and all that and that its not stronger then aluminum. Should I be worried here bc on my XC rides I find myself going down some pretty fast downhills and very bumpy terrain and should I be scared of this biking cracking or something?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
No you don't need to worry. There are carbon haters and carbon lovers so take what you read with a grain of salt. My wife has been on a carbon Ibis Mojo for over a year with no troubles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok perfect, Thanks

I guess what i am trying to find out is if the frame was to hit dead on to a trunk of a tree which one would survive :) b/c from other articles i have read is that carbon is stronger then aluminun

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've beaten the crap out of my Trek Fuel 100 - full carbon bike - in the 4 years I've had it. It's seen it's share of endo's, wipe-outs, tech trails and fast down-hills without a lick of trouble from the frame. Don't worry and enjoy your new bike!:thumbsup:

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Depends on the quality of the CF engineering. Specialized probably did some hard QC and their CF should be very reliable.

2 years ago I reluctantly bought a CF Mojo to get the optimized dw-link 5.5 inch travel and the frame geometry I was looking for. I didn't want CF for the same fears everyone has. But it's proved perfectly durable under my 200+ lbs jumping 3 - 4 foot drops and trips to Moab, Bootleg, and other very rough riding.

And CF has a very nice damping quality not available on metal bikes which gives CF full suspension another dimension of improved ride feel.

Try to avoid slamming trees! But if you slammed one hard it might fracture CF but more likely stay straight and strong enough to ride back to the trail head. While an aluminum frame of the same weight even heavier could be more likely to bend or break and not be rideable.

Specialized has a solid warrantee, and that is one beautiful frame! You have nothing to worry about.

·
EDR
10,496 Posts
derby said:
Specialized has a solid warrantee, and that is one beautiful frame! You have nothing to worry about.
OP: Be aware that Specialized does NOT allow the warranty to transfer to a second hand owner with their CF frames, unlike the aluminum frames. That's what the demo rep told us a few months back when my buddy demo'd a CF Enduro. That says something about the frame, not sure what though.

If your '07 is brand new bought from a bike shop then no worries with warranty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
stylesx said:
I guess what i am trying to find out is if the frame was to hit dead on to a trunk of a tree which one would survive :)
just how fast will you be trying to hit the tree? i wanna be there to take a video! :D

i've had my 06 stumpy sworks for a year now. no problem. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well technically carbon is stronger that aluminum but it has an expiration, per say.
I think carbon is dangerous on a handlebar. On a frame, as said before, you will have no problem unless you hit a tree at a speed on which neither a CF or Al frame will be the problem, for your worries will be your teeth.

Congrats on the new ride, and a piece of advice -a quote from someone on this forum- NEVER discuss right of way with a tree.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
my friend who is a science geek fears carbon fiber cause he's worried that some part of the bike isn't gonna be sealed/covered completely and he's gonna inhale some carbon fiber particles and get cancer. crazy i now but that's his reason for have nothing carbon fiber from his saddle are and forward.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rammbs said:
just how fast will you be trying to hit the tree? i wanna be there to take a video! :D

i've had my 06 stumpy sworks for a year now. no problem. :thumbsup:
hahahah i was thinking about 30km/h :) but video on that would be nice :)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
OP: Be aware that Specialized does NOT allow the warranty to transfer to a second hand owner with their CF frames, unlike the aluminum frames. That's what the demo rep told us a few months back when my buddy demo'd a CF Enduro. That says something about the frame, not sure what though.

they don't warranty aluminum frames either. I can't think of any companies that do, although most are gonna be willing to help you out with at least crash replacement if you do break it.

Its pretty standard.

·
Registered
659 Posts
eatdrinkride said:

EDR,

Just so you know, Specialized lifetime frame warranty is ONLY for the original owner [period].
If you have a Specialized rep. that thinks you can buy a used specialized bike, have the frame break or crack and get it replaced under warranty WITHOUT the original sales slip that is BIG, BIG news to second hand specialized bike owners.

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
Just a little note on which is stronger. It's not that simple. Well it's still pretty simple.

- Given the same weight carbon fibre is stronger.
- Given the same size the aluminum is stronger.

Impact resistance is a different story. Ibis has a pretty good write up about this on their website.

·
Huh?
344 Posts
eatdrinkride said:

Actually they dont' allow any frames to have the warranties transferred.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.