Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dealing with a persistent loose headset on newer bike with carbon steerer. I reinstalled the compression plug to appropriate torque (8Nm as called for by manuf), install stem with ~3mm clearance between top of spacer and top of stem so as not to risk bottom out of topcap, then installed stem, preloaded topcap until no play in headset and tightened down stem to appropriate torque (5Nm). And my headset continues to come loose. I redid this process today and when I removed the stem and topcap the compression plug had extruded a few mm from the steerer, so the damn stem would appear to be slipping. So, next I repeat the above process and wipe down the steerer with solvent to remove any grime/grease. I torqued the compression plug to maybe 10Nm and the stem to 6Nm...and still a loose headset. Never had this problem before with aluminum or steel. Carbon paste is the only thing I can think of that I haven't tried. Any ideas? Do I really needs carbon paste on the steerer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had the same problem and ended up going with a Ritchey WCS 260 stem because it has three bolts to tighten the stem instead of the usual two. I also switched to an FSA Compressor top cap since the one I used first was not staying in place well. Have not head any problem since. I wanted to avoid carbon paste, only because the Whisky fork manual stated any damage due to use of carbon paste would void the warranty.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
By compression plug do you mean the star nut? 8nm is a LOT for that, are you sure the spec calls for that? Are you sure the bearings are still in good shape? Torquing to 8 nm could have damaged them.

·
Registered
711 Posts
By compression plug do you mean the star nut? 8nm is a LOT for that, are you sure the spec calls for that? Are you sure the bearings are still in good shape? Torquing to 8 nm could have damaged them.
Carbon steerers don't use a star nut. They use a compression plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts