Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking off my rigid for to swap it out for a suspension fork, I noticed some marks on it. I really can't tell if they're scratches or cracks. If they are scratches, the only place I can think of that they'd have come from is inside the head tube. Anyone have opinions on it from what you can see in the photos?

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same in person, at least for me. Something that's leading me to believe they're cracks is if you look in the 3rd picture, there appears to be some small stress fractures above the obvious mark.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Looks to be marks made by the upper bearing race. I'd have it inspected by at least 2-3 shops, just to be sure.

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
does look like it is possibly a crack. No sign of flexing there? I'd run a little alcohol or white spirit on it to see if it wick in much...soapy water if you don't like that...if you see it coming into the inside I'd definitely take it to someone. Not a good spot for a crack.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Internal cables that rub?
Seems a bit fine for that, no?

Looks to be marks made by the upper bearing race. I'd have it inspected by at least 2-3 shops, just to be sure.
Looking at the line in person, its a bit jagged.

does look like it is possibly a crack. No sign of flexing there? I'd run a little alcohol or white spirit on it to see if it wick in much...soapy water if you don't like that...if you see it coming into the inside I'd definitely take it to someone. Not a good spot for a crack.
I can't get it to flex. The bottom of the steer is filled with material, so I don't think I'd be able to see anything seep through.

·
1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
1,283 Posts
I can't get it to flex. The bottom of the steer is filled with material, so I don't think I'd be able to see anything seep through.
You could look fro the outside...if the line fills with fluid very quickly and stays full it isn't a crack. If it wicks in fast, or even slowly and is "thirsty" for more....it is a crack. Although if you are thinking warrantee and have someone close by best to just take it there in case they complain about what you've done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts