Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a carbon seatpost for my softtail XC race bike but I have heard some horror stories about cf post snapping on mtbs. I see the same XC riders that have been riding on carbon fiber handlebars for years reluctant to ride a cf seatpost. Anyone riding one? Anyone break one?

-R

·
Registered
38 Posts
Race Face

I had a easton c2 that was the worst POS never broke except the clamp. Now I have a race face next on my epic and it is very solid. It has an Aluminum insert to prevent catostophic failure. It's not really a weenie post but its lighter than stock.

·
Registered
245 Posts
santa_cruzer said:
I am considering buying a carbon seatpost for my softtail XC race bike but I have heard some horror stories about cf post snapping on mtbs. I see the same XC riders that have been riding on carbon fiber handlebars for years reluctant to ride a cf seatpost. Anyone riding one? Anyone break one?

-R
I use the RaceFace Next post and the FSA K-Force(FSA being lighter). Both work fine and I am 220lbs. Most carbon posts break because it is clamped to tightly. I own a bike shop and have seen a few carbon posts break, but again it was customers fault for clamping to tightly. read the torq specs and follow them directly for any carbon components.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
I run the now discontinued Answer Carbolite post. It's a carbon post with an aluminum sleeve around the base so you can grease/clamp to your hearts delight without risk of hurting anything. The head is one of THE BEST designs out there. It's not super light, but it's still as light as a Thomson, so acceptable, with the benefits of carbon without the drawbacks.

... if you can find one.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm using a MAXM carbon fiber seat post on my SwitchBlade...... no problems at all!!! It's lighter then a Thomson and still super strong. I have absolutely nothing to complain about mine because it has been an install and forget part.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
safety is paramount

santa_cruzer said:

-R
I have a friend who broke his carbon easton carbon seatpost. He is only doing strictly XC. He doesn't dare to attempt stunts, downhill at all. It broke at the joint at the top where the metal is joined to carbon. I also talked to many riders near my areas they broke carbon seat too. They are ride rough on the trail. I learned from their lesson by not buying carbon seatpost. I don't mind reducing weight but not at the expense of my safety. Besides, Thompson Al seatpost is light and very strong. There is no need for carbon seatpost.

·
Registered
260 Posts
cmv96 said:
is there a weight limitation to the MAXM?
Their site doesnt mention one.... http://www.maxmcomponents.com/ I have mine cut to the length I need and the walls are a lot thicker then most carbon seatposts but still light (mine weighs 180g). FWIW, I'm using MAXM seatpost, stem, and handlebars.... couldnt be happier with them. I'll attach a pic of a front shot of my Blade.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
i agree...

Picard said:
I have a friend who broke his carbon easton carbon seatpost. He is only doing strictly XC. He doesn't dare to attempt stunts, downhill at all. It broke at the joint at the top where the metal is joined to carbon. I also talked to many riders near my areas they broke carbon seat too. They are ride rough on the trail. I learned from their lesson by not buying carbon seatpost. I don't mind reducing weight but not at the expense of my safety. Besides, Thompson Al seatpost is light and very strong. There is no need for carbon seatpost.
no need for carbon with New Ultimate,Heylight or Extralite making really light seatposts out of Aluminium...

pictured below New Ultimate 27,2/350mm !!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.