Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of a carbon seatpost with a great clamp system. The seatpost needs to weight sub 200 grams, 350mm's, and have 0 offset.

I had a Token seatpost last year, but had a problem breaking parts at the clamp system. Once the seatpost rails, once the cradle. I switched to a Thomson post which eliminated my problems. I want to get back to carbon as I miss the forgiveness on my hardtail.

Is there anything out there meating my specs? I see a few, but concerned with the clamp systems.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
IIRC my easton EC90 zero was just a touch under 200g, 30.9mm x 400mm. I weight between 200 and 220 depending. It uses a 2-bolt clamp style similar to Thomson posts.

The CB cobalt 11 is around 170g in a 31.6mm x 400mm IIRC. It uses a single bolt, similar to the giant/ritchey superlogic.

The Ritchey superlogic is also under 200g, but it has a 25mm offset.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Very interesting, I didn't realize the Crank Bros was available in carbon. It looks like a Ritchey WCS post, is this the case or is there something different about it? It is more expensive then the WCS post.

The Superlogic was actually my first choice, but it has a 25mm offset. My frame was built around 0 offset.

The EC90 doesn't look to bad. Anybody have experience with their clamp? It does look more secure then the others.

Let me also add that my seatpost will be 27.2 diameter.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
DavidR1 said:
Very interesting, I didn't realize the Crank Bros was available in carbon. It looks like a Ritchey WCS post, is this the case or is there something different about it? It is more expensive then the WCS post.
The CB post is available in a zero offset, just to clarify.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
EC90's have a solid seat clamp set up.
I would recommend putting a little carbon paste on all the pieces to stop any creaking possibilities. I always end up coming back to this post after trying lighter products.

I have yet to see a Crank Bros post....wonder where they come in at real weight and how the clamp is??

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
What about Ti instead? Just as forgiving but more durable. I'm really happy with my Kent Erikson, but there are many other great options.

·
Tech geek and racerboy
651 Posts
Bontrager XXX-lite comes in 5mm offset, which is close, and the clamp is supurb.

Also, Enve Composites makes a phenomenal post (with a similar but even lighter clamp) that has fantastic damping characteristics. Expensive, but awesome.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FishMan473 said:
What about Ti instead? Just as forgiving but more durable. I'm really happy with my Kent Erikson, but there are many other great options.
Kent makes some great posts, that is for sure. Not so sure I would say it is more durable then carbon though. I saw a guy gash his leg last year on a Ti post. He needed 20 something stiches.

Also, not so sure they are just as comfortable either.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,440 Posts
If scratched or pinched, carbon will break, Ti won't. Though either is certainly subsceptable to breakage due to poor construction.

My Erikson is pretty comfy on my MTB, can't really compare to carbon since I haven't used a CF seatpost on comparable frames. I always thought carbon was better at vibration dampening, while Ti will flex more substantially.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just get an ec90 and call it a day. I have tried a lot and been most impressed with the ec90. Also, my old 0 offset one with ti hardware was around 175g cut down, in 30.9mm.

I just got one of the 2011 ec90 offset for my new build and it's pretty dang light in a 31.6mm diameter uncut, at 190g.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
DavidR1 said:
I'm in need of a carbon seatpost with a great clamp system. The seatpost needs to weight sub 200 grams, 350mm's, and have 0 offset.
I recently was in need of a seatpost, and had the same requirements as you. I went with the 3T Doric Team seatpost (31.6mm x 350mm). The quality is very nice, and I've had no slippage, no creaks, no problems whatsoever. The actual weight was 189g, uncut.

http://www.3tcycling.com/products.aspx?i=road&t=Seatposts&p=doric

If you want to go lighter, the LTD version shaves a few grams with a carbon lower cradle.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Could you use Thomson cradle on Token, or one of the similar posts? I have seen pictures of such a setup.

For forgiveness, I usually look at higher volume lower pressure tires first. And just run Thomson Masterpiece.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
DavidR1 said:
After 5+ hours in the saddle, every little bit helps. Already run a pretty high volume tire.
That is why I am a fan of titanium hardtail frames. And of full suspension for the really long haul. ;)

Honestly, I could not feel any positive effect from carbon posts. Just the negatives of dealing with setup, slipping, fear of over-clamping and crashing etc. Not saying it ain't there, just I could not notice.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.