Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Older & Slower
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Anthem X2 and have switched over my Easton XC carbon handlebar, Thomson masterpiece stem, Thomson elite seatpost, ESI silicon grips, XTR pedals, Kenda Bluegroove 2.0 tires and Speed Dream wheelset from my old bike to lighten it up a bit. I'm guessing it's just a hair under 26 lbs right now (was 26.5 lbs bedore i swapped the tires).

I'm thinking about a carbon seatpost, but I'm 200 lbs and that makes me a nervous (just like I was nervous switching to a carbom handlebar...which has been a great move so far).

Would a carbon seatpost knock off enough weight to justify spending the extra money?

Am I too heavy for a carbon seatpost? Would I break it under XC/trail riding conditions?

If I decide to buy a carbon saet post, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use a New Ultimate carbon post for my Anthem X, it's 136 grams if I'm not mistaken..I'd be just as worried about an ultralite alu post, I'm not sure I'd use either at 200 lbs for offroad riding, though. Unless going for an ultralite post, you're looking at saving 50 g, it is probably not worth the money. The stock saddle or crankset are both better candidates for an upgrade if you want to shed weight.

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
formulaone33 said:
Yeah but the Masterpiece will not snap off leaving jagged shards of carbon to punture new paths to your colon.
It never ceases to amaze me how people fear and loathe carbon fiber. Remember the next time you want to fly... better check and see what the wings and fuselage of the plane you're about to board are made of. ;) I rode a carbon seatpost for close to 10 years on the mountain bike and also a twin to it for nearly as long on the road bike. Only reason I didn't carry it over to the new bike build was the fact that the lighter seat's rails wouldn't work well with the USE clamp head. While there are some poorly-designed carbon parts out there for sure if you get a good product it will not fail.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i think the main reason to switch to carbon is to dampen vibrations. you won't notice the weight savings. the rear suspension will absorb most vibrations, so i say save the money and upgrade something else. you have a great seatpost already.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I'm not a weight weenie

historeeteacher said:
Would a carbon seatpost knock off enough weight to justify spending the extra money?
IMHO, no. But, then again, I am working with a student budget, and only racing sport.

·
Registered
55 Posts
"much" lighter is New Ultimate (136 g), AX Lightness and Schmolke will be even less - and much more expensive. Cycle King Ultimate SL (and many other brand names) is only very slightly less. Can't think of much else to be honest, Ritchey, FSA, Easton etc. will not be -much- lighter but pretty close.

On a related note, is the seat tube on the Anthem X quite a lot shorter than advertised? Normally I can get away with a 350 mm post with a centimeter or two to spare, on my Anthem X (same advertised length seat tube as the two other bikes I've had with 22" seat tube) I'm a centimeter or a little more short on seatpost with a 350 mm. And I'm not bitter after having spilled on said New Ultimate post, ordered it at the same time as the bike as delivery times can be a b*tch on those posts and, a 22" bike is a 22" bike right? :madman:

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Rather than choosing something simply because it’s light I think it’s much more important for it to be well designed and tough enough to last, that rules out a lot of seat posts. Seeing as how you’ve got an Easton bar you would do good to get an Easton carbon seat post as they’re tested properly, use good carbon, have an ok clamp design and have a reasonably tough finish. Race Face Next carbon seat posts are also very good, the clamp design is simply superb and the finish is pretty though too, it won’t be the lightest out there but it’s important to have one that’s well tested and works well unlike other companies that just select posts out of catalogues from vendors. I think it’s more than worthwhile to get one but choose the right one and a tough finish isn’t as important if you don’t ride in a lot of mud BTW.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A seatpost falls into the static weight category; you'll only look better on the scale. On your anthem x, you won't notice any of the damping properties a carbon (or ti) post have to offer. Save your money. If you want to save a few grams, cut your thomson post to fit your maximum seat height, leaving 80mm of post inside the frame. Besides, a matching stem and seatpost looks sharp, why mess with that?

·
More carbon fiber please!
684 Posts
kitsuma said:
A seatpost falls into the static weight category; you'll only look better on the scale.
Actually it all adds up. Saving weight on multiple parts does make a huge difference. How do you think I ended up with my NRS being under 21 pounds? The best place to drop weight is in the wheels/tires/tubes first. Then I'd go to the items with the best bang for the buck. Seatposts, stems, bars are easy places to drop a fair amount. Even a lighter chain such as the KMC is a good move if it's time for a new chain. Then you get into bigger parts costs besides the wheelset with forks, cranksets, shocks, etc. Anyhow.. my point is that if you're truly after a lighter bike it all adds up. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
IAmtnbikr said:
There have been NU carbon posts that have failed. Quite a few folks now steer clear of them.
Or Nino does, at least... I don't know, being from Denmark (where the New Ultimates are from) I see quite a few of them around and I've only seen broken alu ones, when speaking production models. As far as I know the carbon ones were beefed up slightly and at 170 lbs I don't have any concerns using it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.